conversion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrichard

Reaction score
hello all just was wondering how all the alt conversions are holding up, mines doing great . been real quiet here lately so was just wondering.... ride safe Denis :fishin:

No complaints really, but I have taken my conversion off.
It's been great having it out of the way while doing the carb mod changes and new ignition install.

I put a total of 20,000 miles at most on the Denso.
In that time I had to replace bearings and regulator once.
Before I pulled it the bearings were getting noisy again.

I think if your going to run your bike at 5,000+ rpms often like I do then an external alternator isn't a good choice.
I haven't heard of anyone saying the same, maybe it's just me or maybe I'm the only one riding like it's a sport bike.

It is dis-comforting not having an external mounted up though. Any problem with the alternator is a simple deal to repair.
I may put it back on, not sure just yet.

my converson has taken me from Ohio to South Dakota to Washington DC. guessing 10,000 miles on it.
When I first put it on, the belt would squeal in the rain. Now it does not.
I have never had to adjust the serpentine belt.

Now I did not use Loctite on the crank bolt. After 6,000 mi the bolt came out and shot through the radiater.
The one step I did not do was Little Beavers suggestion to drill a new hole to keep the inside pulley bolt for the belt cover to screw to. I now find I can not take the rt belt cover off without taking the whole thing apart including the rad.
It is one of two best things I did to my ride.

HOW MANY CONVERSIONS ARE OUT THERE NOW ???

Dbrichard-1
Dan-2
mine -3

The c5 ignition and the alternator are the two best things I have done to my bike. Not sure which one is the better of the two.

The c5 has eliminated my sputtering at times going down the road-cracked coils x 3
The alt-now I can ride in the winter, have lots of lights, lots of heat, have not had to replace a battery, and it starts right up.

total of 5 so far on the alt.