replacing stator on 82 wing question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chargincharlie

Reaction score
im going to remove the stator and cover from another engine i had on my wing stator was good when i removed engine. engine i have now statoris no good on wing can i just replace cover from other engine ?with stator ? will pulse alternader work also? or do i have to use the one that was on engine ? so what i asking is it set like points. with timing ,or will just setting it in and put rod back in and cap be good to go ,or should i just go with a new stator ...and what one would you recommend... i run a 4 speaker stereo 200 watts a LED head light but other than that everything else is pretty well stock i would like the conversion done would be simpler but i dont want to tackle that job or have $600 bucks to dish out BUT HEY if anyone around lawton Ft Sill Oklahoma has done a conversion and would like to help on a poorboy coversion for a $100-$200 im game i dont have welder to fabricate brackets i am a poor man lol thats why im still riding this ole 1982 wing or id buy a newer one

I`m kinda a newbie at wings but it is my understanding for at least 80-83 all the stators are the same so I would think another cover with the stator bolted in should swap over no problem, of course this is one of those things you only want to do once if possible so look over the donor stator for damage and give it an ohm test.

'80 - '83 pulse generators...all interchangeable. There is a slight difference in the rotor, stator, and rear cover between the '80 -'80 and '82 - '83 engines. Consider the fact that the stock alternator output is 300 watts, and your stereo, at full volume, uses a good chunk of that. Actually, the stereo probably draws less than 100 watts, as the output power is a peak rating, and not RMS like it used to be, but still a good chunk out of 300. There are aftermarket stators with slightly higher output, but I know nothing about them. I've just seen 'em on eBay.

Good Steve chimed in, thought They were all the same..
The car stereo stuff they make do not care about the current draw because most cars have plenty of reserve. Not so for our motorcycles, the stereo`s that are factory equipped on Goldwings (and others) are low watt with high efficient speakers, the low watt amp draws minimal current and the efficient speakers take the low wattage and make it louder , not really high fidelity but you do have to give up some things to keep your charging system from laboring.

All good points. Still if it were me and it isn't. I'd bolt the known good stator in there and solder the stator wires and regulator wires and keep my fingers crossed as I change out the lights to led.

its not a factory stereo or speakers its a Boss marine stereo another question is it true that you must disconnect the battery from positive and negative terminals before you hook a charger to your battery if not could burn out stator or is this a mith

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145762#p145762:1cc1fj56 said:
chargincharlie » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:24 am[/url]":1cc1fj56]
its not a factory stereo or speakers its a Boss marine stereo another question is it true that you must disconnect the battery from positive and negative terminals before you hook a charger to your battery if not could burn out stator or is this a mith
You can't burn out the stator, you may spike electronics if you had a faulty charger which could include the regulator circuitry but only in extremely rare cases. I don't disconect if charging in vehicle.

well you guys are rite no sence in pulling engine out and i ordered a new stator why not fix it rite the first time so will be yanking out engine soon and installing new stator and gasket i also purchased a impact hammer drill to bust loose those phillip head screws i tryed it out on old cover and stator worked awsome busted them 3 stator screw loose like nothing just have to have time to work on it dont want to miss to mutch riding time but anyways if i deside to ride wing far its better to be fixed the rite way instead of old used parts when it comes to something like the charging system :fiddle:

Good decision, pulling the motor is not all that hard, just takes up a good bit of time. Don't want to rush, that's when I fu-- up the worst, when I get in a hurry. Has anyone had any experience with Electrosport? Their stators are coated in epoxy to protect the windings from the acidic properties that is a byproduct of combustion in the oil, or so I've heard something or other to that effect

not me but i purchased a stator from caltrik or caltrac sure hope it last paid $60- on ebay has anyone ever used this stator and how did it work for you ? ive tryed to find reviews for the stator but not mutch luck best to find out froma person who has used one thanks :beg:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145982#p145982:1r0x75sa said:
chargincharlie » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:50 am[/url]":1r0x75sa]
not me but i purchased a stator from caltrik or caltrac sure hope it last paid $60- on ebay has anyone ever used this stator and how did it work for you ? ive tryed to find reviews for the stator but not mutch luck best to find out froma person who has used one thanks :beg:
I have used other products of theirs and have been happy. That said I do believe that they source a lot of products from China and as long as they have strict product control I don't see any problems.
*Caltric*

They have a 2 month warranty as compared to electrosport with 12 months and I think ricks has 12 as well. The key to making a good stator is the purity of the copper used in the windings, if there are impurities in the copper it will fail sooner, not to say every stator a company puts out using a lesser quality copper will fail but the overall failure rate will increase.
Size of copper wire has some effect as well, too thin and it will get hotter in spots.
All that said I think you`ll be fine, I really trust ricks and electrosport product.

Have dealt with Ricks for years, with no issues, but no epoxy on the stators like Electrosport's & wondered if this was a plus or not???

My rewinder uses a powder coat insulation on the stator core which gives added protection from grounding the windings. Copper nowdays is a lot lower quality than copper wire in the past :(

Was wondering if the coating & Mfg were equal to, or better than to Ricks, :read: as Ricks said theirs is not coated. :headscratch:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=146102#p146102:3515uh0f said:
Denver » 7 minutes ago[/url]":3515uh0f]
Was wondering if the coating & Mfg were equal to, or better than to Ricks, :read: as Ricks said theirs is not coated. :headscratch:
Yeah, the information is sure confusing isn't it.

Well taking ones time is OFTEN the better way, but as the saying goes, He who hesitates is lost.