I can't wait for the fancy welded manifold so I'm making one from PVC

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131292#p131292:326kupv5 said:
canuckxxxx » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:26 pm[/url]":326kupv5]
Questions: :headscratch:

What is the "fancy welded manifold" you can't wait for?
How did you do that very nice drawing in post #1?

Thanks
Brian

Thanks, I do 3D cad for a living using SolidWorks. A few months back I designed a manifold to be made out of aluminum but the guys at work have been too busy to make it for me. I don't want to push it and annoy them. We make bent tubing parts so we have the perfect set of tools to do it, it's just a matter of fitting it in around higher priority work.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131293#p131293:2yxj05m0 said:
dkl » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:40 pm[/url]":2yxj05m0]
The four intakes look like they are set close to 1/2" above what will be the bottom of the manifold. Gas should not be allowed to pool in the manifold, could be dangerous.....and this comes from a PVC guy. The picture may be misleading.

I think it's mostly the picture. Also nothing is glued yet and it dropped a bit when I set the carb on it. It's pretty much level in the pic but it should be a bit higher.

Some off the wall suggestions,,,,,,,Turn box over and seal factory inlet hole, then fill bottom with tank sealer level to the lips of the inlet runners to prevent puddling of gas in manifold. Mount carb spacer to removable top of conduit box where ever it needs to be located. Be sure it is high enuff for carb control movement. This will make carb easier to remove and put any places that may leak at the top and easier to access. Use Flex Pvc for runners. Just some thoughts,,,,,,,,,Good Job....

I went around in my head about cover up or down. I went down to use the existing hole but now that I've decided to plug it and drill a new one closer to center having the cover up would make it easier to plug a leak if it happened. If I do another I'll do it cover up. My store didn't have flex conduit in 1-1/4". I'll check an electrical supply place. It would certainly solve the 7* problem.

Flex PVC web-site has it, and will sell it by the foot (PVC Conduit and PVC sch 40 pipe & fittings are the same size and will interchange).......and it has stood up to Gasoline for six months on my application....Ur Project is Look'n Good.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131398#p131398:179jmvvz said:
chuck c » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:04 am[/url]":179jmvvz]
That expression was because that's the configuration of monocarb manifold! I'm going to dig into that site, thanks for the tip.

The link was prohibited for me :( Is it the 5 way furniture connector that you were pointing at? I seem to remember someone else using this setup or endorsing this part if it is the same one. :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131402#p131402:1g3xrtfm said:
Ansimp » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:59 pm[/url]":1g3xrtfm]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131398#p131398:1g3xrtfm said:
chuck c » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:04 am[/url]":1g3xrtfm]
That expression was because that's the configuration of monocarb manifold! I'm going to dig into that site, thanks for the tip.

The link was prohibited for me :( Is it the 5 way furniture connector that you were pointing at? I seem to remember someone else using this setup or endorsing this part if it is the same one. :yes:

Yes. And it's under $5.
425-012C.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131429#p131429:1ti4u4t0 said:
Ansimp » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:07 pm[/url]":1ti4u4t0]
Here is your 5 way
viewtopic.php?p=131410#p131410

THAT'S what I'm talking about! That's identical to the one I was going to have made out of metal. Right, I'm ordering the parts today.

Hang on. I've spent hours trying to simplify and use off-the-shelf parts and I can't figure any geometry that works using 45 degree fittings and yet that one looks like it does. That looks like flex hose for the runners. Maybe they are flexing to make up the difference. [returns to cad software for a few more hours]

No way do I want to hi-jack ur thread...but here is picture (cut the red lines) I used 1"....take it to the next level

Attachments

• SAM_0405.JPG
    SAM_0405.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 124
  • SAM_0406.JPG
    SAM_0406.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 124
  • SAM_0407.JPG
    SAM_0407.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 122
Here's the progress on my PVC manifold:
140919_0000.jpg

You've got to be able to know when to trash your work and start over. I'm doing that with dkl's design. I'm not waiting for a special 5-way coupler, I'm going to make one. Tune in tomorrow for progress pics.

PS: Gorilla Glue did not bond the PVC to aluminum well enough. It took very little impact to snap it off. Now, I only used a very thin line and it might have been enough in a less demanding application. I will make a flange out of PVC. Advantage is I can make it larger and give me someplace to anchor the throttle cable.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131636#p131636:3rh26xie said:
chuck c » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:55 pm[/url]":3rh26xie]
Here's the progress on my PVC manifold:

You've got to be able to know when to trash your work and start over. I'm doing that with dkl's design. I'm not waiting for a special 5-way coupler, I'm going to make one. Tune in tomorrow for progress pics.

PS: Gorilla Glue did not bond the PVC to aluminum well enough. It took very little impact to snap it off. Now, I only used a very thin line and it might have been enough in a less demanding application. I will make a flange out of PVC. Advantage is I can make it larger and give me someplace to anchor the throttle cable.
file.php

oh my ive got a few that should pictured in your can .... gee...we should start a trash dump thread where all the discarded go ...so they can all be in one place .... :doh: :rant: :hihihi:

slabghost":1empuh9j said:
Bummer! I wanted to see how this plan worked.
We did, it didn't. We also know why, aluminum to pvc bond problems.
joedrum":1empuh9j said:
oh my ive got a few that should pictured in your can .... gee...we should start a trash dump thread where all the discarded go ...so they can all be in one place ....
Agreed! We all learn more from what doesn't work than we do when first try works.

I always wonder what happened to wd-1 thru wd-39? Or heinz1 thru heinz56? Or 1-up thru 6-up?

Finding what does not work, steers us toward solutions. In this application, solutions that can be duplicated with commonly available parts without having specialized tools or skill sets and not breaking the bank.

I applaud you 'chuck c' for trying, and following through with your giving up on it and why, rather than leaving us hanging. :clapping: Looking forward to chuck-2.0. :good:

Latest posts