hooch getting a new fuel source

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118746#p118746:bi1m1cms said:
joedrum » Thu May 22, 2014 8:32 pm[/url]":bi1m1cms]
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M50y9Sa--7g&feature=youtu.be[/video]

nothing special but pulling holding video by hand for brief test in sound and picture ...
sure sounds good

ok.......i did a new mod to hooch while on my trip ......i turned the idle mix screw into a air balancing feed ...pics
image.php

that tube runs into the primary barrel of the dft

image.php

the other end of tube has a vac nippl cut to fit inside it....the idle mix screw is out...and this tube is shove in the idle mix screw opening .......this allows air to be pulled through tube from the mix screw opening in primary barrel just below the transition idle outlets and below throttle plate also ...im pulling my idle from the transition off idle outlet right at throttle plate line.....the idle mix screw opening in barrel is not very big but i can put my finger over the hole and the idle slows ...so its doing something for sure ...tested it prove this always test ....on my dft set up ..i set idle with throttle cable ...witch is a simple mod i came up with ...i just dont lock nut the throttle cable at grip and can rotate cable sleeve to get idle i want ..plus it works great for fast idle to warm up bike a bit ..really works good ...and idle can always be dealt with ....

in operation i set idle about 1200 ....when you open the throttle plate with hand grip eventually the primary barrel start to flow quicker than below plate or the same and the extra air is muted to nothing and primary barrel takes full control ... this has made the idle leaner and more steady ... is it as good as stock .. ive seen some good stock idles ... it close id say ...this is the joe drum carb air balancer for LOL ...these to mods broden the window on the dft as user friendly and running window seems much wider ..and idle flucuation is much smaller ....

image.php

pic of 1 to 2 high rise i use...allows carb to shoot strait down about 4" or more befor having to turn

image.php

all the runners are flexable and connector hose had bends in it at close to what i needed...this made sealing the manifold rather easy ...you can see ive use plywood for spacers and gasket backing ... this seals great and has been on and off many times....

the runner themselfs are 1 1/2 ... the outlets on the type4 carb mount are 1 1/4" ...so its choke down there then runners open up a 1/4"....my build suffers not from runners to big at all....

ive also learn something lately ...and this applys to single barrel guys more than me but it effected me too .....air boxes need to be big at high rpm in reality...the oldwing motor is quite the pump ...some of the single carb air box deals are quite small ...at a certain rpm its going to be this shuts the motor down at rpm not carb itself ... i think ones should take this into account ...in there bulids ...personally im going to do mine bigger ...stock deals are way bigger ..compared to little round one barrel deals .....my jetting is way up there compared to cars that used the same carbs ... ill post that when i figure it all out LOL... :thanks:

ok i finally finished or made permanent the air balance mod on hooch ....as i had it gas could still get in mix screw channel at times and cause the idle to go up some as hose in the mix screw hole did not cut all the gas from mix screw channel .....to fix this i wanted to block the gas from coming to the mix screw at all ..in other words plug gas feed just below the idle transition holes at the throttle plate line .....to do this i drilled through the base of carb up into the mix screw channel right where the gas feed is ....then once there i found the right size electric coated galvanise nail as these are very smooth and are pointed like a mix screw is ....when ran through the bottom and into mix screw channel it is skinnier than mix screw channel and the air balance has plenty of space left and right of this nail for air to pass by ....much more space than actual mix screw opening in the carb barrel that mix screw needle work with ive never change the size of that hole .....here a pic

image.php

you can see in the pic that the air balance tube fits in mix screw channel and goes to the air box once primary barrel kicks in this shut this line down just like the idle gas dose as air flow in primary takes over...strait down from there you see the shinny plug needle made from nail....it fit good but it also totally sealed by the thick carb gasket i use ....so there is no worry about leaking and i did nothing but slip it in .....put it on hooch and it worked great ....my idle comes totally from the transition holes at throttle plate line ......and idle is adjusted on hooch with the throttle cable adjuster at bar ....to me this is a great deal as idle can be adjusted while riding to cope with different weather condition ....

end result was it seemed to need a bit more throttle plate adjust than before and the idle seemed even smoother and was easy to get below 1000rpm idle but hooch seems to like about 1100 idle and thats where i usually keep it .....very pleased with the results and feel it is permanently modded now :builder: :thanks:

well the problem from the get go with this carb witch is bigger than the dft 32-32 most have tried is on hooch motor 1200 modded was there was to much gas feed and not enough air ...now the with gas feed coming to the idle circuit from the off idle transition three holes at throttle plate and nothing but air coming in on the mix screw channel is the the idle mix for the hooch motor .....and that pretty much set as is like a mix screw would be when its adjusted right just not possible as stock.....past that i can adjust the throttle plate from it closed position to get the idle speed i want ......the idle circuit has a air bleed also like the primary dose ...it was fixed i have drill it out bigger a while back also and the idle gas jet is about .035 in size ...seems ive finally got the air and the gas mix spot on now for the hooch motor ...it took these mods to get there ...hmmm hope i explained that well ....stock set up there was no way to get a good mix as gas feed was way to big and adjustment range didnt come close to helping

ok i really like the dft carb and how i got it mounted on hooch ... it was cutting out alot so took carb off ..that takes about 5minutes going slow ....unscrewed carb top ...started looking for blockage ...found it in the primary gas jet ... took all tubes and idle jets out ...blew the holes out with air good with a hand pump work great ...that took about 10minutes no more ....put everything back in carb jets tubes and all and put top back on ....maybne 5 minutes again ..installed back on bike ..5 minutes ...took test ride for about 30 minutes ....

hooch ran great again and with the new and improved idle circuit mod ..everything was top notch ...bike right back to the mean big dog it is ....i like a carb that that easy to deal with ...so glad i went SCC...made my turkey day for sure :thanks:

well there comes a time when things really just cant look better ...went to jpwingers house and visited ...he lives 110 miles away so i did a mpg test ...after leaving jerrys i stop and got gas to check mileage...hooch went 120.4 miles on 2.049 gallons of gas ....that sounds like 60 mpg ...im sure no one going to believe this ...but it true ...ive never heard of this kind of mpg from any oldwing ever ....what else is there to say ....im still in shock over it :shock:

That is damn impressive!
I have always expected the 4 cylinder could get better mpg but thought there no way with the gas we have today.

I would say double check it, make sure your speedo is accurate both speed and odo counter.

:shock: So you finally got the framcombobulator synched to the flux capacitor huh? :headscratch:
:smilie_happy:

going to go top off the gas today too ...there was a 110 mile trip home last night too....had fun visit with jerry and penny ...she was very nice and the first time i met her ....should brought camera but that requires fore thought LOL......

im rather blown away by it all 5.50 spent ...gas 1.99.9 a gallon ....2.o49 gallons put in hooch ....120.4 miles .....as far as correct odomiter and speedo...i check it all out when finally got it all together ...its a 1000 speedo ...hooked up to a 1200 front wheel and speedo gear ....checking mile markers constantly for awhile it appears to 1/20th short ....which isn't much ....closer than a stock 1000 set up ....

there was also quite a bit of town traffic or moderately stop and go ...lots of small towns strung together for about 25 or thirty miles .....

this was the first time i checked mileage since finalizing the carb carb mod i did ...to me this is solid proof of the efficiency of a well dialed in carb ....this seems to be better mpg than FI ...stock carbs ...super or turbo charged .....i must have stared at the pump figures for 5 minutes in disbelief ...but it was all right there ...i for sure went on a 3 hr ride of 120.4 miles ...and it took 2.040 gallons of gas ...and spent only 5.50$ for it

maybe jerry will chime in he was saying it sure does run well and actually seen the odometer ...cause he wanted to see how far away my house is from his ...and i told him when i left i was going to stop and check mileage after i left his place ....which was about 10 miles down the road from his place .....

what a nice ride it was ...one of those cloudy days of no sun but the temp was nice ...got drizzled on some but not bad ...and the night trip home was super nice ride with lots of moonlight ...great time and great figures all in one

I've never heard Joe's bike run better the motor is so smooth hardly any vibration when it's running. And the intake runners stay nice and cool. And idle can be adjusted at the handle bar. Boy what a real upgrade.Also I'm very impressed with the car tire on the rear. I think single carb and car tire on rear are in my future on my side car with trailer bike ( 80 gl1100) now that I have 82 gl1100 as my solo bike in Fl. Joe has really nailed the mod's . I think Joe has shown us just what can be done. There always will be nay Sayers out there for what ever reasons they have. But hearing and feeling the motor tells the real story. Best running bike I think I've heard with user friendly feature's that we all need on these oldwings we all love. Jerry

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163754#p163754:27z62gf2 said:
dan filipi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:30 am[/url]":27z62gf2]
Makes me wonder how it's even possible to get just the 18-20 mpg that captain midnight gets.

Run it slobbering rich then apply enough heat to lean it enough to run and you can waste plenty of fuel. :smilie_happy:
And let's not forget his fine home made ignition system.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163755#p163755:2uxojws3 said:
jpwinger » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:36 am[/url]":2uxojws3]
I've never heard Joe's bike run better the motor is so smooth hardly any vibration when it's running. And the intake runners stay nice and cool. And idle can be adjusted at the handle bar. Boy what a real upgrade.Also I'm very impressed with the car tire on the rear. I think single carb and car tire on rear are in my future on my side car with trailer bike ( 80 gl1100) now that I have 82 gl1100 as my solo bike in Fl. Joe has really nailed the mod's . I think Joe has shown us just what can be done. There always will be nay Sayers out there for what ever reasons they have. But hearing and feeling the motor tells the real story. Best running bike I think I've heard with user friendly feature's that we all need on these oldwings we all love. Jerry

i predict even with a post like this ...a lot will just scoff at the reality here ...i must give credit where its due ....the c5 and the custom curve paul dial in while we were in the mode of recovering drunks ...played a big part here ...that final curve is killer compared to the other three .....now it seems the carb is in sync with the advance curve ....so the c5 is all the computer stuff my bike needs ...and with it i don't need FI tech to be as good or better than FI system .....these are the most ridiculous mpg figures ive ever seen in the oldwing world ...and it sure is easy to see how one would think its a CM statement :hihihi: :thanks:

Haters gonna hate joe, pay no never mind, just do your thing, do what cha wanna do, they can't tell ya, what to sock it to, lol. Sounds like you found the sweet spot on your combo and the mileage isn't unrealistic, I think there's still some more mpg hiding in there that will come out down the road. Nice work !!

Naysayers have no place in posting here far as I'm concerned.

I've known Joe quite a few years now, met him twice at his place, and talked many many hours on the phone.
Anyone doubting can also read back on Joe's posts and see that he's always honestly reported problems as they are, as well as improvements.
Just let the naysayers be and ignore them, they only serve to sidetrack what we're doing.

So what do your plugs look like Joe?

well havnt check plugs yet but did just get back from second fill up and pics of pump ....gee i got soaked gas station 2 1/2 moles away ...nice when i left ...just pour on me about 1/2 way there till i got back sheesh :hihihi: :doh:

image.php

this is round trip ..same station i started mpg test at ....

image.php

looks to have done a little worst on the way home ...its was foggy in spots and cooler also ....

so 2.049 gallions added to gallons in pic gives total trip mpg and of coutse it neat to see conditions has effect on mpg equation....ive done no math here yet ..very pleased so far

Latest posts