SCC discounts put in dumper

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 carbs can be tuned to each clylinders needs ...

if compression numbers are close ..motor is equal ....only a bad motor would fit that discount ...its why bench synching is fine on stock carb racks ..plain and simple

long runners and unequal lengths causes carb to deliver different charges to each cylinder .....

that's a joke like a 1/2" is going to do that ....long runners are impossible on such a small motor to begin with ....it dose make carb ahead of the game ...that's why they have plenty of low end torque ....and only too small of runners like vw motors have actually run out at high rpm ....

singles can have icing problems ...any carb system not dialed in will have icing problems ...including stock set ups ....heat is a band aid for not dialed in good ...truth is cool charge to motor is power getter not loser....hence intercoolers to cool air for power ....when dialed in good, icing is not much of a problem ....

it gets ridiculous to listen to single carb discounts from people who never tried or know what there talking about ....if you want info that might be helpful listen to people who have experienced both ...

out of the box good? ....sheesh this was crazy ..almost all carbs available are epa junk carbs ....they have to have the epa carb cancer removed to stand a chance of working right ....

no one has dyno proof ...give me a break ...that cost money and when i seen it done once the discounters said dynos are all different and it meant nothing ...

there is nothing going to sway the mind of blindness ....

i have a single carb bike and anyone wants to see can come look. hooch speaks for itself and needs no dyno .....

truth is that if your manifold and doesn't leak air ....and you rid the epa disease from the carb ...the oldwing motor is perfectly set up to deliver huge bang for the buck ....like no other system can .....cool runners is a sign of great power ..ive done other mods to keep charge cool as possible....not even thinking of heat in any way that loses power in my book ...

the info is so bad out there i hope ones find this ...as i wont belong to slanted forums in any way at all ....

there are many way to provide carburetion ..stock is the only way for some purists ....dual webers are out there...superchargers are out there also and have a following also ...i like supers too ....to each there own ...

personally i built a bike where stock carbs stand no chance as cv carbs in general have no flex what so ever ...there's a bike like mine out there that the owner of has been trying cv carb stock and others for yrs with results not up to par .....

point being it was the best move of the entire build i was doing....a straight carb only one will beat any stock cv carb set up of any kind as cv carbs are the last to react ....sheesh most all supercharge bikes are single carb and in a supercharge set up ...sort of says it all in my book ...

so anyone wanting to know about single carbs ...i hope they find their way here instead of the discount tech of other forums from people that have no experience at all

joedrum plenty of single carb experience to speak from .... :thanks:

It does seem with all the evidence that a single carb set up is better than stock taking into consideration the age of these original racks. My uncle told me once "My boy, you can't improve on the original design from the engineers," but everyday we see proof to the contrary. Lot's of great work here and other places.

~O~

dan filipi":2bc1a65u said:
"My boy, you can't improve on the original design from the engineers,"

Huh!?

How could anyone believe such a general statement to be true??
Then the Titanic is still afloat, right?

:0fftopic: But to explain...

Those words were part of a lecture regarding my hot rod 1970 Charger 500 which began with why the tires in the rear were way too wide and the rake of the entire car would ruin the transmission and how "you can tell alot about a person by looking in the trunk of their car(mine was a mess)," among other things. Miss the old guy.

~O~

your right denver ...it is stupid to think mass production is top of the line .....the real motorheads have always bested stock ..it amazes me after 100 strait yrs of motorheads or the guy next door beating stock products ..that there seems to be total lack of that reality today and especially in oldwing tech ....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160701#p160701:2tu6d314 said:
Denver » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:42 pm[/url]":2tu6d314]
The way it was designed is not always (or often? ) how it ends up! :smilie_happy:

Now that is an understatement!

The best way to get listened to is to UNDERSTATE, :roll: then when you do speak your more likely to be heard. :smilie_happy:

Major vehicle manufacturers have to produce vehicles for the masses....not just the hot-rodder/tinkerers. OE engineering and designs are ALWAYS a compromise. Remember...they also have to honor a warranty(and fuel economy restrictions).
Back yard tech, and home mek-a-neks have always been able to make vehicles run better, faster, etc., but they(we) don't have to worry about fixing it under warranty if it explodes two blocks from the house....we just have to push it home and start over.
Whether or not one guy's mods are better than the next guy's mods is totally subjective....there is not now, nor will there ever be, a conclusive answer to who's method is best. All we can say is what works for us on this particular machine.
All of youse guys that have gone the SCC route, and made it work for you are definitely to be appreciated for your contribution in that area of induction, but the fact still remains, that there is no one set-up that will give everyone the same exact results. If it works for you, then that's all that matters. If someone else says that what you did don't/won't work, so what? YOU know it does....so...let them eat cake! :BigGrin:

totally agree ..and said well ....this thread is not about stock verses singles ..its about the total fabrication of info making singles out to be no good for oldwings and lack of any experience to make the claims ...and the adgenda driven baloney ...the latest is there no proof of and extreme good running example ...well the ones saying that know of hooch so there flat out lying .....classic has vids of several builds that work great of bike running down road ...it dosnt get better ...hooch has video of going through some gears ..and its obvious the bikes do well ....i dont think its good to lie to new people who want info ...these people are a total diservice to oldwings in general....hopefully they find this thread ....plain and simple as stated at the start of this thread .......the liars posts are way ahead and its just not right :thanks:

robin ":3fyws6d6 said:
I've never done a single carb so I don't know.

dan filipi":3fyws6d6 said:
Well I say good luck getting anyone that hasn't experienced a tuned single to believe the potential.

well im not a member there at ngw by choice but i do look in ...first time ive ever seen a post where robin was going to do the challenge on the dyno ....before i moved to fla i wasnt that far away and would have done that ...but i t would have for not as stock carbs just wont work on my bike period and robin would have figured that out ....stock carbs as set up have no way to adjust vacuum side of carbs ...and with out that going on theres no way to fit them to something different than a very narrow window of operation .....

anyway rob ..i think it was just a discount post and he had no intension of flipping the bill to test singles especially mine as he would not like the result at all im sure ....in fact im not even sure supercharge oldwings ive seen are any better than hooch ......the hooch bike is set up with a safety throttle as the power is great it can wreck you fast ...the one hooch vid that out there going through the gears is not all it had ...you cant get that with one twist .....so hooch has plenty more than vid shows ...and it is right there with the super bikes .....

they think at the other sites that are manifolds are amateur in set up a direct slam to the ones making there own ...what fools anything to discount .....the way i did mine dose have secret ingredient to it ..thats been said but discounted ...

but truth is the longer runners is an advantage big time not a discount as has been said ...a oldwing motor is a fine pump...as is ...dosnt really need push from supercharger at all ....but there are many things you can do to manifold perform at its top level without push ....and if one gets that done right carb and all included ...a supercharger will challenge to do better ....you better do it right ...and the gain you get over a bike like hooch per buck is dismal to say the least.....so thats what i say ...and im sure the discounters will jump all over that.....but who cares ..not me ...i get to ride my bike ....and looking forward to the est events coming up in fla like right now ...might go today theres one about 30miles from here today.......hope to see someone i know from forums ....

Your memory is fading. His offer was directed straight at you, it was sincere, he wanted to know. As to discount, which is a poor choice of words, why are you always "discounting" the stock carb setups? Stock Keihins in good shape are great carbs. As to Honda or Webber or Holley or Keihin, Mikuni or the EPA, I'm writing them a letter to start consulting you before they release anything. Anything can be made to work with patience and persistence. In the last two years, I wonder how many times your carb is perfect, only to be modded again to be, perfect.

I read the thread over there and my take on it is the same as often is said (and has an essence of truth). There is no single carb setup ready to go that there is a single source of information to do a step by step setup. Every carb, manifold, runners, etc are different and takes a bit of tinkering to get it right.

I like that over here at CGW, many Members have taken on SCC and all the mods to get it to work! :clapping:

But, it still leaves it that there is still no single setup ready to go.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160993#p160993:1wu1aeoq said:
ekvh » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:55 pm[/url]":1wu1aeoq]
Your memory is fading. His offer was directed straight at you, it was sincere, he wanted to know. As to discount, which is a poor choice of words, why are you always "discounting" the stock carb setups? Stock Keihins in good shape are great carbs. As to Honda or Webber or Holley or Keihin, Mikuni or the EPA, I'm writing them a letter to start consulting you before they release anything. Anything can be made to work with patience and persistence. In the last two years, I wonder how many times your carb is perfect, only to be modded again to be, perfect.

And how many variations of the stock carbs have you been running only to modify time and time again? Always closer but no cigar. :headscratch:

Latest posts