Gas cap hiss, not venting

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have noticed the gas cap is not venting. When I open it there's a very audible hiss and sometimes even a pop. Is it fixable or should I just get a replacement?

I think you can just soak it in WD40 or was it vinegar?.. but yes totally fixable most times, you will get a hiss normally, be sure not to confuse the two.cap is supposed to let air in not out.

Your other thread you had hydro locking. These 2 could be related but normal since a gas cap working right will normally have a pressure build up in the tank from evaporation especially on hot days. Related because that pressure build up could push fuel past the float seat.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172704#p172704:1xyrgwv8 said:
dan filipi » Sun May 01, 2016 11:46 am[/url]":1xyrgwv8]
Your other thread you had hydro locking. These 2 could be related but normal since a gas cap working right will normally have a pressure build up in the tank from evaporation especially on hot days. Related because that pressure build up could push fuel past the float seat.

That's what I suspected. I've always seen a tiny bit of pressure one my other bikes, cars, and even lawn mower but what I'm seeing on the Wing seems to be quite a bit more than I'd expect. I believe the pump only delivers about 1.5-2 psi and anything over 3 will force its way past the needle valve. I would not be surprised it what I see is in that range. Now with the petcock off it should be ok, right? The pressure in the tank won't matter as long as I remember to use the dang petcock. I'm not in the habit because my Kawasaki has an automatic vacuum controlled valve and I don't have to touch it.

Chuck, just so you know that couple times mine hydrolocked the gas valve was Off but sitting in a hot carport mid summer
I think was too much for the valve to seal, my valve seal is new but I think the heat and sitting still for weeks caused enough pressure to build and seep past, not blowing out like yours(you had allot) still I have thought another shut off would give extra assurance for when it sits long periods, hasn't happened since my new battery..I think the extra amps helps it overcome what little may seeps past, plus while sitting in heat I made a habit of loosening the cap once a week or so.
I`m just guessing maybe I`m wrong but it still wouldn't turn over with a fresh charge battery till I removed the plugs and spun it.

I'm sure this problem is worse when the tank is nearly empty. If you then open it on a cool day and it gets hot, I can see the pressure overcoming the needle valve but it must really have jacked up to push past the pump and petcock!
There has to be an easy way to prevent this. I guess the first is keep the tank full when sitting but that's just not always practical. It needs a place that can safely expand to take up the pressure. Hm. The first place that hits me is the fuel line between the tank and filter. I shall think on this.
Something like a couple inches of this kind of stuff:
https://www.columbiaerd.com/bellows_convolutedboots.html

thinking you probably have an electric pump, the stock mechanical is easy to push past, not sure if electric is easy...I have an automotive type electric solenoid to stop fuel flow,a sort of security switch but its a big device for a bike, would be cool because you just have to shut the ignition off.

Latest posts