New holes to fit the 740 series carb to the VW type 4 manifold

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
My method of mating the 2 parts that don't match bolt wise.

This is probably machining 101 but I didn't see any other fix for this problem other than using a ready made adaptor
(which would probably raise the carb too high) or carving out the ends of the carb base to make the bolt studs pass through the carb base.
I didn't like that idea.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

What is going to happen if I tried to drill this new hole to size 17/64" I need to tap it is the drill bit is going to fall right into the old 5/16" hole and jamb into it.
I solved that problem by first putting an old 5/16" bolt in the old hole......

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Dan

In my Thread,

I mention that I opened up the Carb body's base Mounting holes to match the manifold.

This can be done with either a round file or a Dremel tool.

I used a Dremel tool, there is plenty of meat and will not hurt or weaken the mounting at all.

As you are only opening about 1/8"-3/16" to the out side of all 4 holes on the carb.

The gasket i used was for a 32/36DGV

What you did works too.

Looks good!!

Very Nice!!

Lets hear some noise, or a Music!!

This music will be a new tune

Nice job Dan even if you did make a lot of extra work, Westgl's idea of opening up the carby base plate seems a lot easier :yes:

it was a great nethod of how to do that kind of tapping ....and he slso explened the nedd not to force bit while drilling to stay strait in the soft aluminum against the steel threaded plug ....

and it dose look better than what I did and westgl later in elongating the holes .......

the one carb I used had no way to elongate holes ... and dans method for sure would have been better for me to do ....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96683#p96683:37dz7fy0 said:
Ansimp » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:25 am[/url]":37dz7fy0]
Nice job Dan even if you did make a lot of extra work, Westgl's idea of opening up the carby base plate seems a lot easier :yes:
Most of the work was in editing my photos to post and share what I did to help out.

The actual drilling and tapping wasn't very difficult and took only about an hour.

Dan provided a Good second alternative way to get this Great 32DFT carb, to mount to that VW manifold

It is always good to have more than one way to do something.

I like the ingenuity that went into dans method

I enjoyed watching watching it

I did it the lazy mans way, that may not be for everyone

If anyone is interested, I used a dremel with a all steel rotary file bit in the dremel tool.

It took me less than 15 minutes to do all 4 holes, that is with tool setup included, but i was going slow and careful.

That is a great write-up except for the fact that your VW manifold does not look the same as mine (or West's). The pictures of yours look like all 4 of the bolt holes in the manifold extend to the interior of the plenum. On my manifold all the bolt holes are on the exterior.

If I tried your method on my manifold the new bolt hole would be cutting into the plenum wall.

Brian

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100790#p100790:149lolwf said:
canuckxxxx » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:18 am[/url]":149lolwf]
That is a great write-up except for the fact that your VW manifold does not look the same as mine (or West's). The pictures of yours look like all 4 of the bolt holes in the manifold extend to the interior of the plenum. On my manifold all the bolt holes are on the exterior.

If I tried your method on my manifold the new bolt hole would be cutting into the plenum wall.

Brian

Yes your manifold looks like mine,

My manifold does not look like Dan's manifold either
You may want to look at opening up the carbs mounting holes, to match the vw plenum, that is what I did.

I wonder if Dan's is a early manifold

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100794#p100794:w0riexpk said:
westgl » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:37 am[/url]":w0riexpk]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100790#p100790:w0riexpk said:
canuckxxxx » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:18 am[/url]":w0riexpk]

Brian

Yes your manifold looks like mine,

My manifold does not look like Dan's manifold either
You may want to look at opening up the carbs mounting holes, to match the vw plenum, that is what I did.

Yeah, that is what I will do.

If you really had your heart set on moving the bolt holes you could probably move all 4 holes a small distance and in that way all your holes would still be away from the plenum wall.

Latest posts