Single Carb Conversion: Adapt the stock plenum

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westgl

Reaction score
OK guys

I have been reluctant to bring this one up.

But it should be discussed.

You could use what you already have, instead buy the VW manifold.

Put at least some of the Cod Catcher to use.

Use the OEM GL1100 Plenum only.

The GL1100 plenum, is still fairly small, already has the Runner offset done, just a matter of connecting some straight runners to it.

Some 1/4" alum. plate across the left side cyl. bank covering the runners, holes cut toward the lower part of the runner exit, Any size you want, as long as it is 1-3/8"id. coming out of the plenum, then another plate, mounted to the Right bank, doing the same.

Hole saw to open plenum runners in new plate.

I may build this too, as i could do this fairly quickly, It would be very easy, and straight runners, No bends, could be alum. or steel, alum. can be High Temp silver soldered with a propane torch. easier & cheaper than welding

Alum. plate mounted to the top, w/ bolts (bolt heads chopped off, or all thread, I like grade 8 bolts) threaded into plate carb placement.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97226#p97226:h1lf2bb9 said:
westgl » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:20 am[/url]":h1lf2bb9]
OK guys

The GL1100 plenum, is still fairly small, already has the Runner offset done, just a matter of connecting some straight runners to it.

Some 1/4" alum. plate across the left side cyl. bank covering the runners, holes cut toward the lower part of the runner exit, Any size you want, as long as it is 1-3/8"id. coming out of the plenum, then another plate, mounted to the Right bank, doing the same.

I may build this too, as i could do this fairly quickly, It would be very easy, and straight runners, No bends, could be alum. or steel, alum. can be High Temp silver soldered with a propane torch. easier & cheaper than welding

Alum. plate mounted to the top, w/ bolts (bolt heads chopped off, or all thread, I like grade 8 bolts) threaded into plate carb placement.
I'm liking this idea using only the plenum with the stock carbs removed.

If this works then a simple and rather cheap "kit" could be put together.

Agreed,

It follows the KISS method for manufacturing, Keep It Simple Stupid

The More simplified, i can make something, that will last a really long time, the better.

Two things i see,

Slightly larger Plenum size, may not be a issue,

Floor of Plenum is not total flat

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97232#p97232:3rrn0hj4 said:
dan filipi » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:32 am[/url]":3rrn0hj4]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97226#p97226:3rrn0hj4 said:
westgl » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:20 am[/url]":3rrn0hj4]
OK guys

I'm liking this idea using only the plenum with the stock carbs removed.

If this works then a simple and rather cheap "kit" could be put together.

Please refresh & re-read my last post updated,

I will use the high temp black sealant between the two plenum halves before clamping, together.

I may put on a bead first then let it set up for 10 minutes or so, till it start to tack up a little, then clamp them together, remove excess from inside next day with a x-acto knive.

Here is what the GL1100 Plenum for a single carb. would look like.

This one is for a Single barrel.

But my 32/34 DFT fits on there pretty good.

Looks like the one air filter threaded hole could hold the new alum. plate down and the carb at the same time as the line up really well.

Threaded air filter mount the one in the corner.

Other fastener may have to be a counter sunk flat headed bolt

Since this will be faster,

Alum plate, and tubing is much less expensive.

Only my time is required.

And i dont have to buy a more expensive part, Like a $400.00 1.50" die.

I will hold off as they are pricey.

I have another of Tom's 32DFT carb. out for delivery, to me today.

That is my back up for my naked GL1200.

Also could be test carb for my GL1200RT-S

The 32/34DFT may find it's way on to the GL1200RT-S or Reverse Trike, - S-ingle carb Build this winter.

I think you may be right as the charge will be directed where needed, and plenty of room above it.

If it is a problem, i may have a fix,

But will try it, the way it is.

Tubing
I am going to try 1-5/8"OD this will go straight in to the OEM manifolds, and provide a good seal,

Or as close as possible to 1-5/8"od, and 1-3/8" ID or close as possible, that means 1/8" wall thickness, alum. tubes usually have thicker walls.

It does Not have to be 6061,

I am going to go for the cheapest i can find even a rem piece.

Although the 6061-T6

Will be more durable,

Durability is a part of my Goal.

Here is a picture of a template of the 32/34DFT, very quickly done.

The 32DFT will be identical.

Picture of GL1100 Plenum with template

Ok that plenum need to be, Cleaned & Polished

With the primary bore toward the front of the plenum looks like the primary is centered between all four cylinders pretty good.

I can build another heater plate, to attach to the bottom of the plenum.

sheesh things moving fast here I can hardly keep up ....only thing I got to say is ..if this stock air box is used by me ..id be closing space inside the box as this would for sure would cause air speed problems to my view .. but that's me .. and im not sure what id use to do that ...it is interesting though as in simplicity ...im going to look at that some as I have many air boxes around for this around for this

Ok i sat the plenum over the Air filter & VW manifold.

I found out by putting the stock air filter box over the carb the Air filter is biased toward the Rear and wont work the way it is mounted stock.

This makes it so that the Single carb would be way to far toward the rear of the bike and hit the rear of the frame.

But!!

Turn the plenum back wards,

So that the Front is facing the back, and the back toward the front, and you will now have your Single carb centered in the frame once more.

NICE~!!!!

Sorry forgot the pictures last post.

In two pictures you can see the top of the air filter

I put the stock air Box on just to see where the location of the air box mounts to the plenum

the 2 last pictures show by reversing the plenum you gain the spacing needed for the single carb

Yes it looks like it has been done.

I do not know how it worked out,

It was a single barrel carb. conversion.

So ours would be somewhat different,

That said, me personally, could run around 90-95% of the time on just the primary bore, and i would be very satisfied for just puttin around cruising.

When my alter ego rears it's Fugly head, then we are Hot Rodding, & looking for the unsuspecting HD, to prey upon.

I say i could do 90-95% but alter ego show up way more frequently than that. :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97257#p97257:3mv7nhqp said:
dan filipi » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:04 am[/url]":3mv7nhqp]
This has already been done hasn't it?

How did it work out for them running wise?

Question is:

How do you reduce the volume in side the plenum?

Easily and cheaply.

I have a screw ball idea. but it wont fall under the easy & cheap category

Latest posts