new carter/weber carb from Tom @Stovebolt

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgq700

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy All ! First i want to say Thank You All for the info and all the folk's on this site. I just put one of Tom's carter/weber carb's and 2 to1bbl adapter on my old beater 80gl1100 and all i can say is Holy Crap!! What a rocket!! With 108,000 miles,i am sure im going to kick some parts out soon but who cares!! i didn't have to touch this carb. put it on(choke and all) warmed it up till the fast idle kicked off, set the idle at 900rpm , put mama on the back and smiled like it was 1968 again :cool: Thank You Again!
In my opinion as a old hot rodder,this is the only way to for these old beaters(that i have come to love) How often does one get a product to work like this right out of the box!
I read the thread's from Dan&Joe tuning these things and they are Awsome with the info they pass to us... I won't be changing my jetting, this thing is perfect for arizona as is. Just sharing my humble opinion.... i cannot say it enough.....Thank You Again!.... Bill :thanks:

I set it in there with the elect choke thermostat pointing to the front, used the dual cable wheel and holder from the stock set up,just welded the cable wheel to the stock arm on the new carb, built a bracket that bolts to 2 of the carb mounting bolts and welded the stock dual cable holder to that, clocked it to match the cables, hooked op fuel&vac adv lines, used the stock air cleaner element, ground the carb and switched 12 volts to the choke! I dont know if i should take a hammer to the crap orig carbs or put them on ebay(or if some one here wants them for the shipping??) but the cable wheel and holder are gone! Just went for another cruze and can't get the smile off my face! :salute:

Nothing beats a satisfied customer, maybe wind in your face :good: :moped:

What manifold are you using?

i built my own manif from a piece of 2X3 square tubing and exh. pipe for runners and carb neck. and cut the flange for a 34pict from some flat stock. and bent the floor of the 2X3 into a inverted V to give it a sort of divided plem.

Real Close!! Mine was bilt for a 1 bbl instead of a 2bbl so the adapter from stovebolt moved the carb high enough to leave the elect choke with no problem. and i still had room to use the stock 1100 air cleaner element to fit perfect. Better lucky than good ANY day !!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=108492#p108492:3970lzgd said:
sgq700 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:24 pm[/url]":3970lzgd]
. Better lucky than good ANY day !!
+1
Maybe good and lucky :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=108492#p108492:2ckjv4v9 said:
sgq700 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:24 pm[/url]":2ckjv4v9]
Real Close!! Mine was bilt for a 1 bbl instead of a 2bbl so the adapter from stovebolt moved the carb high enough to leave the elect choke with no problem. and i still had room to use the stock 1100 air cleaner element to fit perfect. Better lucky than good ANY day !!
That's great news to me as the one in the picture is going on my bike with the riser adapter. :thanks:

Are you going to use one of tom's carb's or a 34pict? I never got the 34pict to work worth crap! After the choke opened it was too lean and i never changed the main jet. It was a empi carb, mabey that was the problem? I will never know!

I bought a remanufactured carb that is "like" the ones Tom sells. I also have a Solex single barrel with VW type 1 intake I intend to adapt and try.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=108518#p108518:29wqm2ch said:
sgq700 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:12 am[/url]":29wqm2ch]
10-4 !! Enjoy, i'm looking for a corvair 140 horse 4bbl intake for my next shot. they look like a natural for a old wing.
Big displacement difference there. You will more than likely need to rejet that. I look forward to the pics of this setup and please take pics of your 4 barrel mod all the way through. :thanks:

I have toyed with that idea, but the Corvair ones I have seen don't have much drop under the carburetor., and they still want too much money for the ones I have seen.The Corvair was air cooled so a warm manifold could be reached faster. I wonder if a wedge could be built on top of the vw Weber manifold to elevate it a little and funnel the charge into the 2barrel plenum. It would boost plenum size. Probably have to be done neatly to ensure no hard edges where fuel could condense. I would like to see a little more downslope of the runners from the manifold to the elbows also. Dan's mod seems to be the only one with it. I was looking at a few Porsche manifolds and noticed some of the better performing models on flat sixes had more downslope and about 120 degree elbows instead of the near 90 degree elbows we have. The 1200 had more angle to the elbows.

I'm not interested in running a 4bbl, just the corvair aftermarket intake and running a adapter for the carter/weber. just like in our old hot rod cars, just smooth the sharp edges and let it run! We aren't running pro stock or comp elem. so over thinking the intake isn't important to me! I just think from the looks of it the corvair 4bbl intake has a perfect plem.size and with a adapter will have the carb spaced high enough for the runner tubes to work great! I'll find out when i find one cheap! I would not pay a bunch for one when we build our own for a few dollars..

Latest posts