Gas mileage with the single carb set-up(s)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBAJIM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you guys out there please give a current report on the gas mileage you are getting with your single carb set-up ?

And also, if you have re-jetted ( did you go up or down with the jetting ) , how has that affected your mileage and how your plugs are looking ? Thanks.

running weber 2 barrel no jetting. smooth strong just over 30 mpg.
76 gl1000 very happy, with conversion.
dave

37mpg ...for me ...and i have rejetted hugely and also carb is modded a lot too ....there are levels of acceptability here ...sheesh with stock carb racks that is like manditory to except operation flaws ..but iam finding the weber set up so superior over stock i am going for everything i can get ... as its obvious this is so much better than stock set up i cant help but find the sweet spot in mt set up......perfection in set up dosnt happen much ...so i am quite excited about ...getting everything i can ...

my opinion is ..if failure fear dosnt rule your work ... if you are willing to hang in there and learn the process ,,there is plenty to gain ....

34-35 for me so far, but I have been having a lot of fun. I'm sure it will improve on a long trip.
Langdon's dft on T-4 manifold. No jetting.

Mike

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144890#p144890:2cw5htz2 said:
tronerdog » Today, 5:13 am[/url]":2cw5htz2]
34-35 for me so far, but I have been having a lot of fun. I'm sure it will improve on a long trip.
Langdon's dft on T-4 manifold. No jetting.

Mike
Are there pics of your manifold somewhere?

Sorry. Had to learn how to post pictures.
I used a long radius, 1-1/4" 90 ( 2 really) to make the transition to the carb spigot on the manifolds. Had to cut them back to about 30 degrees, but that allowed me to rotate them and straighten out the hose some. 2 of my runners are 3-1/2" long and the other 2 are 4". Like most, my carb has a slight twist to it. Went for a ride last night, and it was colder than any of my previous rides. The off-idle stumble was a little worse. Thinking I might need to go a little richer on the mixture screw. I haven't touched it yet.

Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 290
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 289
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145383#p145383:1zg571hz said:
tronerdog » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:28 am[/url]":1zg571hz]
Sorry. Had to learn how to post pictures.
I used a long radius, 1-1/4" 90 ( 2 really) to make the transition to the carb spigot on the manifolds. Had to cut them back to about 30 degrees, but that allowed me to rotate them and straighten out the hose some. 2 of my runners are 3-1/2" long and the other 2 are 4". Like most, my carb has a slight twist to it. Went for a ride last night, and it was colder than any of my previous rides. The off-idle stumble was a little worse. Thinking I might need to go a little richer on the mixture screw. I haven't touched it yet.

Mike
file.php

file.php
Looking good :good: Won't be long before you will have it dialled in for your needs :yes:

When you say go up .05, are you referring to the idle jet or the primary main?
I backed my mixture screw out a little last night. The hesitation improved, but idle speed dropped, telling me rich. It was cool out ( maybe 60 ). The heat I get from the exhaust cross over isn't much, but it does make a noticeable difference. Many folks here seem to think no heat is needed, while others believe it helps. I guess the real question is... Is there any reason not to add heat?
With so many believing it improves the situation, maybe masking the rich idle, but still improving?

Mike

yes the big deal here seems to be ..the more the not not dialed in the more the heat is needed to help it run ....to me this is where one gets the most from is curing the to rich idle circuit ...the better my bike gets in be right ..the less it needs help as in heat

Has anyone experimented with the accelerator pump? My local VW guys that I got my manifold from said it helps bugs when they have an off idle stumble. They suggested reaming out the squirter.

If I role into the throttle slowly, I feel what feels like a lean hesitation. If I crank it hard, right into the secondary, it jumps. I think Dan is right in that I need to go up a step on my primary main. I will say that after I've been parked 5-10 minutes on a hot engine, I have no stumble at all for a couple of minutes leading me to think I need a little more continuous heat.
I'm going to go check my plugs right now.

Mike

Tan. Perfect looking really. But I would like to replace them anyway. What is the "best" plug for a 1200? The current ones are dpr8ea9 NGK which seems to be the most common.

Mike