Home made tool for removing Rear wheel nut

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny4jesus

Reaction score
I wanted to share an idea I had as to removing the Nut on the rear wheel of the early Goldwings when replaceing the wheel bearings. My bike is an 1981 Interstate and I wanted to replace the front and rear wheel bearings but here was a big nut looking at me and no tool to remove it. Now I know some have made a tool with an old socket but I did not have one for this job so I made a tool from mild flat steel, dirlled to holes for the distance of the holes in the rear wheel nut and put 2 bolts lock washers and nut, bend the ends ( you will need a vice and hammer because the steel is hard , once you have bent the ends up you can now use vice grips to remove the nut and replace . Worked fine for me, hope it works for You.

Sonny

Attachments

• Bike parts and manuals 005.jpg
    Bike parts and manuals 005.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 192
Maxwell Smart: Missed it by that much!!!! You need the tool so you don't destroy it using a punch. The threads are "pinned" into place with a small punch. If you don't drill or remove it, the threads fight all the way out. I used a punch and it started moving right away, but because it is made of aluminum, it falls to pieces. I know the hard way.