Broken Throttle cable, what to do?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekvh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cruising a busy part of town, take off from a stop light and the pull cable for my Schizoid bike , which I knew was going to go soon and mistakenly ordered a speedo cable instead of a throttle cable, decided to break. Doh!!!!! Pull over to the curb and start scouring the ground for McGuyver materials. Nothing! Across the street and a block back was a grocery store. Here's what I came up with:
image.jpg
I wrapped together four vegetable bags (they were free) and tied one end around the throttle stop screw. Next:
image.jpg
I stuck the key through the bag to secure it from blowing away. I debated putting it around the throttle handle, but a left turn could have dire consequences. I raised the idle to three thousand rpm to allow hands free take offs, ( it was barely enough). I took off in second or third gear. Worked flawlessly. Captain Midnight and I are going to patent it. Just kidding, Captain, this is all mine.