New C5 Ignition fits GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, and GL1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm Have you tried sealing the unwanted holes with JBWeld and then after a few days punch it out? I'm thinking that would pop out most of the JB and the holes could then be used. Maybe just a little vaseline on the chamfer would make the plug pop out nice and clean. I might try that on mine.

Well I've got $120 worth of drink coasters that leak...lol

Luckily this is about the only thing that got messed up in this entire project. From the first test measurements we had to make very minor changes to the first waterjetted base. The machine shop did a great job verifying fitment before the billet parts were machined, and even when I changed the cover design twice, they handed it professionally.

Once the gaskets are done we can make the aluminum standoff that places the encoder disc at the correct height.

I really hope you guys enjoy the story told along the way. I figure that I'm the only manufacturer who shares everything with their customers. Not sure if that's a good thing to do, but all companies have issues and I like to let people see how we get around them.

Just like your single carb conversions, you just keep trying until it's perfect!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142409#p142409:srbiaymf said:
slabghost » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:19 pm[/url]":srbiaymf]
Hmmm Have you tried sealing the unwanted holes with JBWeld and then after a few days punch it out? I'm thinking that would pop out most of the JB and the holes could then be used. Maybe just a little vaseline on the chamfer would make the plug pop out nice and clean. I might try that on mine.

We have to make kits so anyone world wide, especially non English speaking customers can install with little issue.
I've thought of threading the holes and using set screws, sealing them, installing press in plugs....in the end we decided a gasket was simple and affordable.

If a better idea comes along we can always change (without waiting for a board meeting).

I think your gasket design is perfect.
Place at the holes needed, the others are blocked, done deal unless I'm mis understanding something :BigGrin: wouldn't be the first time.

Kudos on the design. Can't wait for mine either. But on the other hand the bike is a popsicle so waiting isn't really an issue.

Nice job with a little hiccup, I like the idea of a multi fit gasket with different orientation to plug the unused holes :yes:

Tonight I played with assembling kits so I can:

1) Document every part needed to install

2) Test fit the GL1000 and 1200 heads with our gaskets (yes they got the right ones this time)

3) Make the correct length spacer (stand off) to hold the encoder in place

I have to take enough pictures to make a new installation guide for our website. I have the 1200 done, and got half way into the 1000 kit before I ran out of energy. This is the complete kit for 1100/1200 engines.

Attachments

• KIT COMPLETE - UNIVERSAL.jpg
    KIT COMPLETE - UNIVERSAL.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 97
For the GL1200 models, is the tach signal always the same yellow/blue color?

This drawing is an edited part of the GL1200 service manual. We have a single tach pulse lead for the C5 kit and I would like to include instructions for the GL1200 customers. I've done this before with other kits, just needing Goldwing specific help.

Also, do any GL1100 models have electric tachs?

Attachments

• tach wiring GL1200.jpg
    tach wiring GL1200.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 289
The '83 Aspencade does have a digital tach, and is driven off one of the primary coil leads. I don't have a clear Aspencade schematic, so I don't know the wire color, but the tach only needs a pulse, so either primary wire will work.

On the 1100 Standard and Interstate, the primary coil wires are solid blue, and solid yellow.

Thanks Joe. I'll look him up.

A review for anyone installing or considering this kit. Here is a post I made elsewhere to explain a few things...

I am working on a revised manual for the GL1100 and 1200 installation, since the 1000 never had spark boxes to worry about.
This was supposed to happen last week at Louis Hallett's shop but as most of you know, his death the day before our photo shoot put this project on the back burner for a few weeks.

I promise to finish our GL1100/1200 installation guide in a timely fashion and appreciate your patience while we help Louis' wife finish customer repairs and sort things at his shop.

INFO:

Our ignitions always eliminate factory ignition parts. Shame on me for assuming everyone knows this already.
You do NOT use resistors, spark boxes, or anything else. You can remove old parts or simply unplug them.

Our ignition should be connected to a power supply that turns off with the handlebar shutoff switch but if you bypass that it is completely up to you. Erratic voltages increase chances of electronic failures so fix loose wiring before installation!

I have always used the stock Honda coil power to operate our coils and ignition module. So far I've not had issues.

FRAME MOUNTS:

GL1000 frame uses stock Honda aluminum coil mounts. The lower mount gets flipped 180 degrees and we provide two spacers and M5x40 bolts for this and two M6x20 screws for the frame (in case you destroyed the old ones).

GL1100 frame needs two "L" shaped brackets. The coil sits with the towers facing upward.

GL1200....I have not test fit yet but the same brackets can be used with the coil towers facing down. I know it fits a bare frame but waiting for a few people to provide feedback for me.

If anyone gets stuck while installing, give me a call. I am gone much of the time and don't check forums daily.
Cell # 920-403-0555

I have updated our old "install guide" to better describe the new Gen 4 kit.

As we get more pictures of the installation I will update the guide. I spent hours revising this and my wife thinks I am insane because no other company even offers installation photos, but as we all know, a picture really is worth 1,000 words.

I know from phone calls and emails that visual aides and tips help the end user prevent "mistakes" that cause frustration.

When some of you have the cam drilled and tapped, I could use a few pictures...especially GL1100 models. Recently we received great feedback about small changes recommended to the GL1100 coil mounts, and we appreciate the feed back.

https://www.c5ignitions.com/uploads/1/5/1/5/15151528/goldwing_4_cylinder_-_gen_4_install_guide.pdf

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144557#p144557:164lmwdc said:
C5Performance » Today, 10:19 am[/url]":164lmwdc]
I have updated our old "install guide" to better describe the new Gen 4 kit.

As we get more pictures of the installation I will update the guide. I spent hours revising this and my wife thinks I am insane because no other company even offers installation photos, but as we all know, a picture really is worth 1,000 words.

I know from phone calls and emails that visual aides and tips help the end user prevent "mistakes" that cause frustration.

When some of you have the cam drilled and tapped, I could use a few pictures...especially GL1100 models. Recently we received great feedback about small changes recommended to the GL1100 coil mounts, and we appreciate the feed back.

https://www.c5ignitions.com/uploads/1/5/1/5/15151528/goldwing_4_cylinder_-_gen_4_install_guide.pdf
Excellent write up and photos!

Latest posts