Creating a Cyclops....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Dint start out to do it, but....I did.
I've had this spare driving light sitting around for a while, and it's been buggin the heck outta me. I finally decided to use it as a 3rd driving light, but where to put it? Found just the place...in the center, just under the fairing, attached to a plastic shield/cover that fits at the bottom of the fairing, but is actually attached to the triple tree. Mounted here, the light will actually move with the steering as I turn. Might be kinda neat... :mrgreen:
Took the shield off, drilled a hole, and mounted the driving light bracket to the bottom of it, right in the center. However...I feared the light may prove to be too heavy for the plastic itself to hold, so I had to fabricate some extra brackets to hold the weight, and still fasten to the same place as the plastic shield. I replaced the countersunk phillip's head screws that normally held the shield to the tree with machine screws to attach the whole shebang to the original mounting place, and it's solid.
Wired in a relay, powered directly from the battery. I had a conundrum, trying to decide HOW to turn the one light on/off. Use a single toggle, use the High Beam switch, or run it with the other driving lights? Well...supplies determined the outcome. The only other toggle switch I had is rectangular, and I wasn't in the mood to poke a square hole on the fairing somewhere, so I just decided to use the existing driving light toggle switch. As it is now, I have all 3 lights running thru the relay, and one switch. I will get another toggle switch tomorrow, and separate the two side lights from the single center, so I can run all three, just the one, or just the two. Now....I have to determine if the dang thing is gunna bang into the fender if I hit a large dip or something. It looks like it might be close, but I think it will clear. If it does not, I'll move the light farther forward, which will give it more room to clear the fender.

So...neat, or stoopid idea? :wave:
Oh..I did check voltage while running, with all three lights on...it's still puttin out around 13.6v @ 3000rpm, so I think I'm gud, as far as that.

If'n ya need that much light. Why not ride during the day? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Seriously though. I like it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126875#p126875:2yaji63t said:
Steve83 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:36 pm[/url]":2yaji63t]
Cool! A Tucker light!

That's the first thing I thought too, very cool...but callin Joel "bright" is stretch. :smilie_happy: J/K.

~O~

Latest posts