son beach... look what I discovered..

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was out installing footboards finally... and while working on the left side.. son beach I found these issues.. I knew I may have a charging issue.. voltage flakey at times other times no problem... have been considering the white connection bypass.. as the connector had started that plastic rot stuff and wires looked kinda off... well that is tough luck now.. evidently this is where I actually had issues...

Attachments

• stator plug side.png
    stator plug side.png
    19 KB · Views: 403
  • regulator plug.png
    regulator plug.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 400
  • belongs to stator.png
    belongs to stator.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 410
  • 2 wires still connected to stator.png
    2 wires still connected to stator.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 406
Now I know I got to pull engine out some(lots ? )... on the 1200 besides radiator, plug wires, fuel lines, and the 2 triangle brackets .. what else do I got to remove.. .. and does any one have any other advice for $$ impaired owner? ..

Think stator is toast or possible to repair wire ? It was soldered in at one time...lol... oh and I need to replace the airshocks also so rear of bike will be torn apart anyway... and how far out did it really need to move...?

One advantage of Mofset r/r there is not full current through these connections unless required. This also is showing the soldered connection of these wires to the stator windings has failed. More than likely this phase is shorting to ground in the stator :(

I would clean 'em up and test the stator before pulling the engine. If you were having intermittent charging issues, it might have been these bad connections and your stator could be OK. :beg:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124909#p124909:3s4wcejc said:
Steve83 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:01 pm[/url]":3s4wcejc]
I would clean 'em up and test the stator before pulling the engine. If you were having intermittent charging issues, it might have been these bad connections and your stator could be OK. :beg:

+1

Regarding the $$ challenge: fix only what you must. Bypass the funky connector with soldered wires. See if the charging system works. If it works, you're good for a while. If not, mount an external alternator (aka Poor boy) or pull the engine and replace the stator.

The Poor Boy option is the best because it eliminates the amperage shortage and can be fixed without pulling the engine. If I ever have a bad stator, I will go with the external alternator.

Tom