fan not coming on & temp gauge not working

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowhorse

Reaction score
Hi , (1977 GL 1000 )
Need some help on my fan and the temp gauge not working.. How do I go about testing the fan ? I want to try the easiest first then work my way towards harder. The engine is not overheating.. what would the procedure be to test the fan and the temp gauge? I thought I read a thread here where someone put a toggle switch to the fan.. Was that for testing or a bypass?

thanks for any help.

Toggle is usually to bypass the stock temp switch. Check your fuses and their connectors. To check if fan operates you can ground the wire at the temp switch. Gauge is run off the 7volt supply under the gauges. I'm guessing the gas gauge doesn't work either.

slabghost,

the temp gauge is not working...Will I have to pull radiator to get at the fan motor electrical wires?

no. You can reach it if you have small hands from the right side of the bike in front of the carbs. There are two sensors there. One for the gauge the other for the fan.Can't remember just now which is which.
Okay you posted while I was writing. Fan works good. So you should probably put in a toggle switch or fix or replace the fan switch. Does the fuel gauge work? If so the temp sending unit on yours may also be bad.

Okay then it's probably the 7 volt power supply to them. It's either bad or not getting power. I think it's inside the housing just below the gauges. Have you double checked all the fuses and cleaned the fuse holders?

On a 77, the 7 volt regulator should be on the left shelter about midway along the bottom. It has 3? wires to it. One provides 12 v to the regulator, One is ground, and the other is the 7v output to the gages.

I am now going to check the power to the regulator as described above. along with clean and inspect fuses and the holders.. I have a color electrical schematic , so I will see which is the ground ......thanks for helping..keep you up to date..like you are waiting on the edge of your seats for the info...thanks

Well the fan works when I tested with a spare battery.. I am for a temp fix ..going to put a manual switch on ..Does anyone know where I can get the power and ground from ? THANKS

It should have power on it always. the wire to the stock switch is actually a ground. So attache that to the switch and the other side of the switch to ground.

What I did was pull the connector off the thermal fan switch and run two lines from the connector to a switch. Bullet connectors always worked fine for me in that connector.

I bought a 2 blade toggle switch.. Will I be able to wire the fan with that ?? if so how...(getting my power from the blue wire from the connector that feeds the fan ..1. black wire and 1.blue wire

Do not get power from the fan supply. Just hook the ground wire from the stock switch to the toggle switch then the other side to ground.

Blue wire to fan is hot right? Black wire goes to switch on the motor. Looks like brass bolt the wire hooks to. Run black to switch then another from the switch to any ground point.

Maybe just a mix up in terms but the fan switch closes (completes the circuit) to ground so neither wire at the fan switch is actually the "HOT" wire. A "hot" wire would be the + positive side of the fan circuit which comes from the fuse panel.