Radio and indicater dead.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warnett

Reaction score
Is there a trouble shooting section somewhere for the radio. I mean something that will guide me to B+ points etc. I have an 1982 ASP the radio is dead. The clock does not work. The inicator does not even light up. Its just radio and intercom system. I have looked at the install digrams which help some but really does show enough to trace power points. Thanks for any ideas.

Yes Flash they are all good. As for connections it a wiring nightmare in the fairing and lots of connections that go no where. I just need to know what color wire goes to what. Anyway thanks for the reply.

I hope this helps - it's the basic Clarion radio installation wiring diagram. I haven't found anything on the electronics of the radio.

Attachments

• Radio Diagram.JPG
    Radio Diagram.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 281
The red wire to the amp should have switched B+ voltage for the amp power. (Some amps have a red power lead, some black) The red/white wire to the radio is also switched B+ voltage for the radio power. The red wire to the radio is constant B+ for preset memory. The yellow wire between the radio and amp is for remote turn-on of the amp. The green wires are grounds.

The red and black leads from the fairing harness are both B+ voltage, with black being switched, and red being constant.

The two black DIN cables are audio signal carriers, and are interchangable, the second one being for the CB radio.

The diagram in my previous post is a poor scan, so I hope this helps. Good luck with your tunes!

Thank you Steve. ever little bit will help. Nothing seems to show the indicator which doesn't light up at all.
Flash you say 2 fuses behind the radio. Are you talking about what Honda calls the controller and do you mean attached to the radio or in wires. I might take the tray out above where the radio is and see what I can see.

I'm sure glad I found this site. Bunch of great guys and girls on here.

In the diagram posted, the radio indicator is connected by a blue wire to the tuner. This is a different system than the one I posted, and probably the one you have in your Aspy.
Is the indicator you're talking about in the gauge pod between the speakers, or on the radio controller in the lower left fairing?

Thanks again guys. The indicator I'm talking about is on the left in the gauge pod. Its suppose to be clock and radio. Nothing in the center and voltmeter on the right. One thin I'm trying to figure out is if the indicator should light up even if nothing is working on it.

The clarion 2 has the cb and intercom knobsw on the left side by your knee.
The center space on the gauges is for the left radio and clock, volt meter, and cb channel and talk light for cb.
sounds like you do not have the cb channel and light to tell you when you are talking. My radio and cb light up but my volt meter does not light.

Anyway there are a total of 7 fuses in that nest of wires in the fairing.

In the past three years I have been trying to get all my components working. I have been to sierra electronics 3-4 times. The only thing I have yet to get working is the talk button on the cb. I can hear cb but can not talk. So I have been in that nest of wire soo many times I hate to even count the times.

Keep trying you will eventually get it.

Yes sir Wilcor that wiring is a mess. I notice that the controller on mine has everything pluged into it even though I only have intercom and radio. INTERCOM,CASS,RADIO,PB,CB, AND HIS OR TCL OR something can't read my own writing. I did learn today that a blue wire on schmatic does not mean a blue wire but, a bundle of wires. Real small hands would be a big help. I'm trying to plug the cass one in I notice it was not pluged in. Anyway I will keep at it. Thanks for the info.

The second thing I did with mine after not having much success the first time.

I took everything out of the fairing. Then I connected everything out of the fairing as it is all color coded. I then put a piece of tape on both sides of each connection and numbered each connection.
This let me know what went to what and how many wires had no connections.
So now when I get into the nest of wires in the fairing I pretty much know where each wire eventually goes to. Leaving the tape with numbers on also helps after a year or two when the memory in my head starts to forget.

It is a lot of work but in the long run I am very glad I did as now I know what is what.

Not saying you need to do this for your but keep it in the back of the mind for later.

Wilcoy How do you remove any of it. I was looking at the tuner and couldn't see how to remove it so I could get to the wires better. Most things have a trick to it just like trying to plug the cass back into the controller. I just can't get my hand to do it.

The components are attached by nuts on the outside of the fairing. look down the side of the fairing where the front forks and go down the fairing. where your headlight aiming knob is at. You will see little 8mm nuts usually 4 to a component. Take the nuts and washer off and then remove the component from the inside through the light hole or left pocket area.
The tuner is bolted from the bottom of the left side by your knee- by two bolts and nuts. By the fairing bracket from the bottom.

The cb unit is on the left (standing in front of the bike) and can be gotten to by the right turn signal.

The amp will be the first component you see from inside the left pocket(sitting on the bike) with the 4 or 5 main wires into it. They have a push lock on each cable to keep them in place. Just squeeze the side of the cable and it will come out. Before you do that write down the order of the color wires from top to bottom. Will be easier when you put it back together. putting back in connect the bottom to the top. lot easier.

coat hanger is your best friend when putting the nest back in to the fairing. Does not matter if wires go on top or on bottom when going around the headlight.

Any futher questions do not hestitate as I have been there many times. Took me three days the first time and now it takes me about 4-5 hours to take it all out and put it all back in.

Wilcoy I had fun today. Talk about packing in all in wow. Anyway I deceided to connect the speakers wires back to the speakers to see I got any noise. They were disconnected because the previous owner had installed a cheap shark fm radio and had it connected to the speakers. Yes theres audio snow, both speakers. Volume control works. Ok found what wires go to tuner and have voltage to it. I'm going to say the tuner is bad since it also is connected to the indicator and it shows nothing. No clock and no light there. I have a connection on the controller where everything plugs in. Radio cb cass pb, its called ALC AMP. I have no idea what ALC stands for. The other interesting thing I found in the coming from there a a real long grey speaker wire looking wire that has a mini phono plug on it. Maybe its for a passenger. Anyway that what I did today so now my back is killing me. If you think of anything let me know. Thank for all you help. Oh yes thanks for telling how to remove the nest.

Thanks to everyone. It had a bad tuner. Found one for $30.00. Radio works great.