GL1000 Volt Meter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a volt meter for a 1000 and want to use it on my 1100. I like the analog look better than the digital meters, so it is just what the doctor ordered. Now the problem. Does the volt meter run off of the 7 volt regulator? My way of thinking is that it does not since it reads voltage that the bike is producing, but I am not an electrical engineer, so when I don't know, I ask questions.

The volt meter would have to read BATTERY voltage to be of any use, so it can not run off of the 7v regulator, since that would only show 7v.... :good:

brianinpa":vxjvaq2y said:
I picked up a volt meter for a 1000 and want to use it on my 1100. I like the analog look better than the digital meters, so it is just what the doctor ordered. Now the problem. Does the volt meter run off of the 7 volt regulator? My way of thinking is that it does not since it reads voltage that the bike is producing, but I am not an electrical engineer, so when I don't know, I ask questions.
I'm waiting on a digital one to install and was planning to take the positive out of the installed analog meter on the bike.Otherwise any 12 volts + should do.I also like analog too,but I think digital can be more precise.Will check the difference when I receive it.

Because early GL's didn't have volt meters, when you say, "picked up a volt meter for a 1000", I'm assuming you mean you purchased a generic analog volt meter that will fit any motorcycle. Right? Volt meters are simple. You should have two or three connections on the meter. You come off the positive side of your battery to the positive connection on the meter. Then from the ground of the meter to the frame (or other suitable connection). You may also have another connection on the meter for an internal light. Attach that to your headlight circuit.

Placerville":3u781swp said:
Because early GL's didn't have volt meters, when you say, "picked up a volt meter for a 1000", I'm assuming you mean you purchased a generic analog volt meter that will fit any motorcycle. Right? Volt meters are simple. You should have two or three connections on the meter. You come off the positive side of your battery to the positive connection on the meter. Then from the ground of the meter to the frame (or other suitable connection). You may also have another connection on the meter for an internal light. Attach that to your headlight circuit.
If I understood him correctly he bought a gl1000 voltmeter to install it on a gl1100.If i'm correct he bougth an analog voltmeter that comes mounted on the tank's dash on 78 & 79 models,which comes with three guages fuel,volts, & temp.

Placerville":1wbt86qh said:
Because early GL's didn't have volt meters, when you say, "picked up a volt meter for a 1000", I'm assuming you mean you purchased a generic analog volt meter that will fit any motorcycle. Right?

I bought a 78 parts bike that has the volt meter in the gage cluster that mounts to the front of the tank shelter. I have no intentions of using these parts when building my 77, so I am thinking this would be a good reason to drill a hole in my Vetter Fairing.

brianinpa":3v88l52v said:
Placerville":3v88l52v said:
Because early GL's didn't have volt meters, when you say, "picked up a volt meter for a 1000", I'm assuming you mean you purchased a generic analog volt meter that will fit any motorcycle. Right?

I bought a 78 parts bike that has the volt meter in the gage cluster that mounts to the front of the tank shelter. I have no intentions of using these parts when building my 77, so I am thinking this would be a good reason to drill a hole in my Vetter Fairing.
I mounted a Pep Gurls voltage meter on the inside of my Vetter fairing without cutting a hole! (Look down on the left next to the Stebil horn)

image.php

Definitely right about voltmeters requiring the full voltage to be measured. Other gauges use a low voltage rail to deflect the gauge by the amount of resisted negative that is supplied by the sender.