Electrical Overhaul - Where to Start

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atticka

Reaction score
I'm building up to the electrical portion of the '82 rebuild project.

The electrical will be completely rewired (new custom loom) and various components updates.

Going in the bike:
1) C5 ignition system (new coils, optical timing, etc...)
2) fuse block is being replaced by a Motogadget M-Unit (no more fuses and it supports LED lighting without the need for resistors)
3) Going naked, need a new light and signals
4) Rewire all components with thicker AWG wiring
5) Replace as many connections as possible with Weather Pack terminals
6) New MOSFET R/R unit
7) New battery and starter relay unit

With this I should be able to remove:
Spark Units (no longer needed with the C5)
Turn signal unit (integrated into the M-Unit)

I'm on the fence about:
Replacing handlebar controls
Replacing the stator (was in good shape at tear down)

Still need to review:
Guauges and wiring the original cluster
Turn signal cancellation

In my mind this seems pretty straightforward, what am I missing? I'm open to suggestions...

The stators should be OK, I have found they are good or bad and testing will show any weakness. If it were me I would just use the old controls, maybe spray them with an electrical contact cleaner and lube them..I can see how you want to renew it all especially with all the new goodies your installing but for me I find less hassle doing things in chapters rather then the whole book at once.

If you use relays you can reduce the current through your switchgear ( switching the relay coil only) and they should last forever :yes: Also I recommend HID and Led replacement bulbs where practical then with your Mofset rr the stator will be hardly working :good: The 35w HID kit that I use has a battery supply so that takes care of needing headlight relays.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129598#p129598:yqrymvxt said:
Ansimp » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:52 pm[/url]":yqrymvxt]
If you use relays you can reduce the current through your switchgear ( switching the relay coil only) and they should last forever :yes: Also I recommend HID and Led replacement bulbs where practical then with your Mofset rr the stator will be hardly working :good: The 35w HID kit that I use has a battery supply so that takes care of needing headlight relays.

The M-Unit power control unit has the relays built in (all solid state as well!), they even have an option that turns all the hand control signals into serial data and send the commands over a single wire (nice clean mostly wire free design). The only relay I should need is the starter relay.

I'm going to check out the HID kit, that sounds interesting!

Here is the wiring diagram for the M-Unit
Munit Diagram.gif

And here is was the M-Unit looks like
munit_new_04_800_2.jpg

I'll do my best! I'm also working on getting my forks and brakes into good shape. The wiring may be more of a winter project.

It is a chunk of change, but a major upgrade to the electrical system.
-Fuses are gone (electronic circuit breakers)
-Supports LED lighting, no need for resistors
-Simplified wiring
-added intelligence (shuts off other loads when starting, alarm integration, etc..)

When I look at all the components I don't need to add or wire it becomes a bargain.

They do! However it only covers the basics to get the bike running and still requires you to custom fit the wiring (the kit is listed in their "electrical supplies" section on their website).

I haven't rewired any bike yet. If I had need though. I would wire the ignition system first. Then the charging system and lights then any other loads one at a time.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130356#p130356:3symesfr said:
slabghost » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:02 am[/url]":3symesfr]
I haven't rewired any bike yet. If I had need though. I would wire the ignition system first. Then the charging system and lights then any other loads one at a time.

A couple of auto reset breakers and some relays would make a huge improvement to any early bike or car. Honda wiring is one of the best as far as quality for re use IMHO.

This is essentially what the Motogadget adds (auto reset breakers), coupled with some smart hardware level programming and voltage control.

I could have easily used the original wiring loom, however for peace of mind and the experience (this is my first bike rebuild), I really wanted to start from scratch and develop a deeper understanding of motorcycle electrical systems.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130428#p130428:3mnw69kc said:
Atticka » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:25 am[/url]":3mnw69kc]
This is essentially what the Motogadget adds (auto reset breakers), coupled with some smart hardware level programming and voltage control.

I could have easily used the original wiring loom, however for peace of mind and the experience (this is my first bike rebuild), I really wanted to start from scratch and develop a deeper understanding of motorcycle electrical systems.
Building a loom from ground up using that box would be a fun project.

yes this will be great ... ive seen several bikes done up in this matter cyborg at NGW has a couple great examples of modern components and smart electrical hands bikes that are just super ... id do this if i had money to get parts ... making oldwings better than ever is what we do

I'm approaching a new headlamp from truck-lite. It is LED. Also plans long term to convert all lighting to LED. The trucklite headlamp 7" is like 250.00 range. Still have other plans for paint and all. Had a pristine 1983 garage queen bought, but they couldn't produce the title, so I axed that deal.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130662#p130662:2noi9tp7 said:
Riding a Relic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:03 pm[/url]":2noi9tp7]
I'm approaching a new headlamp from truck-lite. It is LED. Also plans long term to convert all lighting to LED. The trucklite headlamp 7" is like 250.00 range. Still have other plans for paint and all. Had a pristine 1983 garage queen bought, but they couldn't produce the title, so I axed that deal.

I would hold off on the LED headlamp for awhile as atm I believe that they are too expensive and consume too much power for the amount of light. I recommend the 35w HID motorcycle kits that are hard wired to your battery and all your switchgear just runs the now low current switching circuit.
viewtopic.php?p=92840#p92840

Motogadget kit has been ordered, waiting for me to pick it up at the mail depot just over the border!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133428#p133428:3oh243cs said:
Atticka » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:37 am[/url]":3oh243cs]
Motogadget kit has been ordered, waiting for me to pick it up at the mail depot just over the border!
Is this HID or LED headlight?

Latest posts