Stopping the Motor - Kill Switch

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atticka

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Just looking for some advice on the best way to wire up a new "stop" button.

I'm thinking of wiring up a momentary disconnect switch to the positive power lead to the coils to disrupt the spark and effectively stop the motor, however I'm curious if there are some thoughts on a better way to do this.

I'm completely replacing the ignition system and after staring at the wiring diagram it doesn't look like the stock kill switch will do the job...

The kill switch is mainly a safety item so that you can shut the bike down easily when you have a problem. Stacked the Pig going down the dreaded driveway twice while it was still too slippery/wet, the second time trapped under the bike with rear wheel spinning kill switch was greatly appreciated and the only way to shut the bike down.

I'm thinking of wiring up a momentary disconnect switch to the positive power lead to the coils to disrupt the spark and effectively stop the motor, however I'm curious if there are some thoughts on a better way to do this.

Isn't this the way Mother Honda did it? Kills the ignition RIGHT NOW.

A momentary switch is a switch that only activates while you apply pressure. The original switch was a cut off switch, once activated it must be reset to the run position to operate again.

Once the engine has been shut down (killed) the switch has top be put back to the "run" position, with a momentary switch you simply press the button, engine dies and that's all... its a slight difference in operation.

Latest posts