• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

'83 Aspencade - $1900 (Central IL)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roady

Reaction score
My neighbor asked for a little help with selling his '83 Aspencade so I went over to his place today and took a look at it. He bought a '95 Aspencade just over a year ago and this one has been parked since then. It was stored with Stabil in the gas and the tank looks pretty good inside. He pushed it out of the garage and after some jumping and fiddling we got it to start up. Idle was rough but over 1500 revs it runs smooth. We didn't run it very long but he did ride it out to the street and back.

Late last fall he brought it to my shop and I did a bunch of work on it. Didn't do timing belts (yet) as he's been unwilling to invest too much at this point. It's been out for a few gentle rides but has mainly been languishing under covers for the winter. She's quite the beauty with her two-tone paint job.

$1900 OBO

dan1.jpg

THE GOOD
  1. Finish is good with some minor scratches (detail pics on request).
  2. Only 43,8xx actual miles (occasional short rides).
  3. New tires just before it was parked in the Fall of '12.
  4. Seat is good, no tears (* complete original seat with gummy spots).
  5. Brakes work good, fresh fluid and bleed.
  6. New-ish high intensity driving/fog lights.
  7. Driver and passenger floor boards, heel/toe shifter. Original footpegs included.
  8. Two spare radios (see "bad" #4 below :-? ).
  9. Overall the bike is solid. Exhaust system has no problems.
  10. New battery in Fall '13.
  11. New fuel lines and filter.

dan2.jpg

THE BAD
  1. No clue on the timing belts. (I'll put in new ones for an extra Ben.)
  2. Idle is rough, getting better as some miles have gone on it.
  3. Left-front fork tube and lower are wet; needs fork seals.
  4. Radio does not work, need to test two spares and replace.
  5. Probably needs plugs and wires.

dan3.jpg

Them is some nice tires (and I just love those '83 rims and that TRAC frontend with it's brace!).

dan4.jpg

THE UGLY
  1. Driver floorboards and heel/toe shifters are not for me with my size 14's, :cry: but originals included.
  2. Very slight discoloration (sun-bleach) on the top outer sides of the saddlebag lids.

I'm new HERE and new to looking for used Wings but this one does have me interested.

I just looked at an 82 Interstate yesterday but it's been sitting for 5 years and the carbs were leaking like crazy after it eventually started. So I'm familar with the general look/size of the 83.

This bike seems almost ready to ride (carb work, seals and that belt). I'm not sure about the price and it would be a full day trip to check out/pickup.

Metal Bob, Just my opinion, but if you're serious about buying an older Wing, I would make the effort to go look at it. I'm guessing it's about 200 miles from you. A ready to ride 83, new tires, low miles, this time of year from somebody in the group that knows the bike. (or at least the neighbor of one) at 1900 obo is a great deal. I doubt that it lasts very long in the Chicago market.

And I would make a deal for the new timing belt too. $1900 seems like a nice price. You could run some Marvel Mystery Oil through the fuel system to maybe clean it up. It's worked for me in the past. Fork seals are a bit more work though.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115371#p115371:2w8rpux9 said:
Metal_Bob » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:26 am[/url]"]I'm new HERE.....quote]

Welcome from North TEXAS DFW area... leaking carbs see to be expected... they may sell up after having gas in them again.. but the rebuild is always in the picture. The belts are not a big issue done easy enough. Plenty of help on here.. be sure and post in New members for a hello from everyone else.. and post this again in the general topic section..

Please note that the carbs are not leaking and bike runs better every time I take it out. Now idles at 1k. Only about 100 miles since getting it going again.

Latest posts