Harbor Freight Tag-Along trailer

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice tent and if set up is half as quick as the video worth every cent :good:

Hey John, curiosity question!

Now that you have been using the Tag A Long, have you found the 16 cubic feet to be enough space?

There is a 20 cubic feet Sears for sale that might work for me, but if 16 is enough it would be cheaper. (Just trying to get a good opinion from someone that has been using it!)

:wave: Gerry-
With careful packing :clapping: , I can get everything in the trailer:
Tent, rain fly, ground cloth
Chairs - small inside tent and large outside tent
Cot, sleeping bag, self inflating mattress
Cooking gear and dry goods
All electrical gear and camp tools
*The cooler keeps all perishable food*
*Clothes go in a backseat bag*

I've been on a number of trips and I think this size lets me take all that I need. I use the saddlebags for tools, maintenance items and riding gear - I have a waterproof bike bag for clothes...I just added a trunk rack with a Kury trunk bag, so I think I'm set...

until, that is, I succumb and get a camper! :yahoo:

Thanks for the reply John! :yes: :thanks:

Hey, if you decide a camper is in your future (like spring 2015) I would be more than happy to come out for your Tag A Long! :hihihi:

Karen and I are going to the Cincinnati RV tomorrow to look at ultra-lite travel trailers (I sold my gas hog F150 and we got a new Volvo S60...)so a camper for the bike may hafta wait a bit... :fiddle:

Gerry-
If you are referring to the picture in post #40, I simply cut some hard plastic to fit in the space shown. I made it an interference fit and had to 'encourage' it to go into place.
After two season, it's still there, and I think it has eliminated a source of noise/squeaks/etc.
Any piece of hard/semi-hard plastic would do just fine.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143994#p143994:2kfs34si said:
KYWinger » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:52 pm[/url]":2kfs34si]
Gerry-
If you are referring to the picture in post #40, I simply cut some hard plastic to fit in the space shown. I made it an interference fit and had to 'encourage' it to go into place.
After two season, it's still there, and I think it has eliminated a source of noise/squeaks/etc.
Any piece of hard/semi-hard plastic would do just fine.
Thanks John! Was it just a flat piece or did you mold a curve at the spring?

Gerry, when I was working on my boat trailer (same country of manufacture: I believe) I bolted a piece of tire tread rubber to the leaf spring at the end to help take up the extra space that I had. It helped to fill the void and also help quiet things down too.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=71124#p71124:21ryog58 said:
KYWinger » January 11th, 2013, 3:21 pm[/url]":21ryog58]
I got the tongue back from my welder - he did a great job. He made a piece to fit perfectly out of 16 gauge steel that he bent on the brake. He shot it with commercial primer when he was done and I added 3 coats of Rustolium gloss black

Thanks for taking the time to post your mods to the Harbor Freight Tag-Along Trailer. I just bought one and have assembled it. I too want to extend the tongue. When looking at your picture and the description, I still don't understand how the extension was made and assembled. Did your welder bend a new box to fit over the original tongue and how did he weld it? I would sure appreciate a detailed description of the mod.

This is my first post. Again thanks for your posts on this. You have my best regards.

BTW: I was able to get new LED lighting at good ole Walmart.

When looking at your picture and the description, I still don't understand how the extension was made and assembled. Did your welder bend a new box to fit over the original tongue and how did he weld it?

The piece he bent fit INSIDE the original, with enough on both ends to make a 24" extension. the piece was, I guess, about 36" in length.

Regardless of the method you choose, a 24" extension seems to cure any and all wag. I've pulled mine for 2 years or so with all my camping gear and have had ZERO issues....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152883#p152883:17tmg44j said:
KYWinger » 39 minutes ago[/url]":17tmg44j]
When looking at your picture and the description, I still don't understand how the extension was made and assembled. Did your welder bend a new box to fit over the original tongue and how did he weld it?

The piece he bent fit INSIDE the original, with enough on both ends to make a 24" extension. the piece was, I guess, about 36" in length.

Regardless of the method you choose, a 24" extension seems to cure any and all wag. I've pulled mine for 2 years or so with all my camping gear and have had ZERO issues....

John:

Did he weld the extension or did he through bolt it? I'm thinking about just getting a new 6' length of 14 gauge 2.5" x 2.5" square tube. I'm pretty sure that the Harbor Freight coupler will fit it.

Latest posts