Tag A Long to the Rescue!!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Threaded eye bolts and hook the "s" hooks onto the eye bolt. U-Haul has some rubber chain stays to keep the hook attached to the tow vehicle in caase of a hard bump. I will have some for you if you don't have it sorted out by then.

I think making too much out of this hook thing.
These are inexpensive from Lowes and hardware stores.

15-0778-color.jpg

Get the largest to fit the chain you have.
Beware the cheapies made of low quality steel.
Harbor Freight...I would NOT buy these from for safety chains.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144705#p144705:2xwcpjcx said:
dan filipi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:32 pm[/url]":2xwcpjcx]
I think making too much out of this hook thing.
These are inexpensive from Lowes and hardware stores.

Get the largest to fit the chain you have.
Beware the cheapies made of low quality steel.
Harbor Freight...I would NOT buy these from for safety chains.
file.php
Already bought two quick links rated for 3500 lbs each, but they do not fit through the plate as a result of the 1" lip welded under the plate. I might follow Tony's idea of drilling two holes at the front of the plate and then use quick links. Of course, if I had the eye rings, I could just thread them through the current holes without drilling.....

Drilled a couple a holes and the safety chain issue is now a mute point!

image.php

image.php

Wiring converters are wired in and functioning great! Adding the brake light converter was real easy and works like a champ!

image.php

Vinyl weather stripping around the perimeter:

image.php

First load......this trailer swallowed up that Vetter faring, windshield, lowers, radio pod, radio and fasteners with plenty of room to spare!

image.php

First time towing with a 60 lb load on the highway. Not real heavy, but I wanted to start out slow to get used to the rig and see how it tows. Again, straight as an arrow! :yes: Wind was blowing 25 MPH gusts today so it was also a good test of how the wind will effect the tow. No difference! :yahoo:

However, I am missing the gearing on the '81 engine big time! :whip: I have an '83 engine in an '82 frame with the '82 final and those lower RPM's were great for riding one up at high speed, but are a bit too low for towing. I'm often holding the gears out to 5000 RPM to climb small hills. Not that I expected different.

I'm also noticing I can watch the gas gauge drop while pulling the trailer at 70 MPH (4000 RPM). Not sure what the mileage is since I have been running the engine at the house a lot. I am going to top off the tank and be sure to get a good run with out the trailer to get a gas mileage reading and then on my way to Brian's I will be pulling the trailer.

Sounds great Gerry and I much prefer your new safety chain setup to the s hooks :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144990#p144990:3txo045a said:
slabghost » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:50 pm[/url]":3txo045a]
Now you need the C5 to regain some power.
Agreed!! (cept I blew all of my bike money putting the trailer together!)

Very nice job Gerry. I pulled mine with at least 250 lbs in it thru the northcentral Arkansas hills with no problems, occasionally dropping one gear and only lost a couple mpg in fuel economy. The 1200 is geared a little different than the 1100 though. I was cruising around 75 most of the time. You will enjoy the trailer.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145025#p145025:1j7m592n said:
joedrum » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:16 am[/url]":1j7m592n]
yep and he got it done without his daughter help ....looks great gerry

Ouch! That there is funny! :smilie_happy:

John, I think I would have to change my gearing to pull an Aspen. Of course, I still have the '81 and the original '82 gearsets; I could consider swapping out gears in the future?

When I had my '83 Aspy, I could really tell the difference when I was pulling a fully loaded Tag A Long.....I spend a lot of time in 4th gear.
I would agree that if you were going to pull something long term, you'd need to change the gearing.... not sure which combination of parts would give you a 5th gear that would pull without lugging..
Maybe Joe has that answer? :headscratch:

I would likely consider the '82 gears. I think the gears ratios are a nice compromise between the '81 and '83. Combined with a C5 might be just the ticket!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145214#p145214:ukxx4nhq said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:18 am[/url]":ukxx4nhq]
I would likely consider the '82 gears. I think the gears ratios are a nice compromise between the '81 and '83. Combined with a C5 might be just the ticket!

I am anxious to just get a load on my trailer and try the additional switch settings just to see how it acts.