Custom 15" rear wheel

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54Greybeard

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While my bike is at C Stanley Motorsports I decided to have Harry Tarzian make one of his custom 15" rear wheels for my GL1100A so I could use a car tire on the rear to maximize tire life while running a side car. Harry is the only one in this country that makes a 15" wheel conversion for the 1100 Goldwing. He uses a Centerline 4" rim, the center section of a Comstar wheel and then custom machines the wheel centers in his shop. Tire wear goes from 3-5000 miles for a motorcycle rear tire to 15-30,000 miles for a car tire. The workmanship is unbelievable.

Attachments

• Rear Wheel Cushion side.JPG
    Rear Wheel Cushion side.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 352
Looks perfect for a sidecar set up. I'm not a big fan of car tires on bikes alone but agree they are great on trikes and hacks. I too would love to see that baby installed.

how much is what i need to know ....im very comfortable with the car tire on a bike.....what size tire are going to use ......ive already got a modified swingarm to handle a rather wide tire....this is neet info thanks :mrgreen:

Here are a few pictures of the wheel installed at C. Stanley Motorsports.

Attachments

• rear shot of wheel installed.JPG
    rear shot of wheel installed.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 297
  • drive shaft side of wheel installed.JPG
    drive shaft side of wheel installed.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 297
  • Brake side of wheel installed.JPG
    Brake side of wheel installed.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 303
neat ...just what i want to do on all my rides ....but 1200$ is out of the question ...it will have to be the joedrum way ...im just not sure what that is as of yet :shock: :headscratch: :mrgreen:

That IS slick! :good: Is the "adapter" piece he added aluminuminum, or steel?
Looks like a top-notch job, fer sher. I think the price is prolly reasonable, for the amount of machine work needed. I doubt that there is enough demand for them to make it worth the effort to produce them in quantities for sale. It's custom stuff....and a nice job to boot! :clapping:

Just to give an idea of how good this wheel really is, here is a picture of EML's version of the same thing. They are a big name European sidecar manufacturer. Their side cars come with the car, front forks, and car tire conversions for the front and the rear. Sidecars are more performance oriented than most of what we see over here. As you can see, they used steel instead of aluminium, functional but nowhere near the beauty and precision of Harry's wheel. I don't know what the deal is in this particular rural area above York, PA. C. Stanley Motorsports is here and he is a dealer for Hannigan sidecars and also makes his own bodies out of steel and aluminium and his own suspensions. Then there's Harry Tarizian who lives 45 minutes away, doesn't even have a computer, let alone CNC machinery. He made blueprints for this wheel! Anyway, check out this picture of a wheel made by a big time company and come to your own conclusion. When we were first talking and I balked at the price of the wheel, Harry said you can use it then, if you get another bike, you can put it on ebay. After seeing it, I think if I get rid of the bike, I'll take the wheel of and put it on my coffee table. My wife was even impressed with how well it was done. The price was $1200, which included the wheel, the tire, new bearings, the center wheel halves and balancing. I had to provide the Comstar wheel center section. DMC charges $1295 for a wheel conversion.

Attachments

• EML GL1100 Rear Wheel.png
    EML GL1100 Rear Wheel.png
    99 KB · Views: 284
im totaly capable to doing this kind of mod ......my bibiggest problem is coming up with the rim to work to ....if i had that rim i could do what harry did or the other company.....now that is a nice wheel ...and id say worth the money to one who have it .....

one of the best things to happen to me was was finding and old wing i could afford ...and get one of the best bikes made in my opinion....sure would like to know how much the blank rim cost :mrgreen:

There is no way I could ever afford it, but would love to find someone who could do a conversion like that on the 1200 front but as a 80 - 120 spoke wheel. But alas there is no one that does. I don't care about the rear as you can't see my wheel unles you are lying on the ground. Thanks to the Voyager. :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg:

fysty-1":26inscrb said:
There is no way I could ever afford it, but would love to find someone who could do a conversion like that on the 1200 front but as a 80 - 120 spoke wheel. But alas there is no one that does. I don't care about the rear as you can't see my wheel unles you are lying on the ground. Thanks to the Voyager. :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg:
Angela, any chance of you doing a thread on your Voyager? (With pics?) Others might be interested (me included) on how you like it, pros-cons, stability, etc!

mcgovern61":3vjxba1t said:
fysty-1":3vjxba1t said:
Angela, any chance of you doing a thread on your Voyager? (With pics?) Others might be interested (me included) on how you like it, pros-cons, stability, etc!

Well Jerry, I will give it a go but there was no before and after. Due to a number of factors, mostly medical I had to give up motorcycles but after riding for 48 years that was not an option, so we began to research trikes, sidecares & stabilizer wheels. well doe to cost the first 2 were out of the question. That left stabilizers. I search the internet & found about 3 kits but as I am asstecticly(sp?)lead, it was no question it would be the Voyager. As this was the one that looked more like a trike than any of the others. Also I went with the Classic as it has the opton of the HD style glas fenders as well as a frame cover of which makes Baby's rear wheel almost invisible. I had a locl steeler install it for me but that was a mistake as they made all kinds of mistakes, which I had to correct and one of the major mistakes was with the suspension and for that I had Johan(firstwing85) come forward & assist me in repairing this problem. I just love the bike but there are a number of things that take some getting used to such as turning. You really do have to slow down in the curves. But once I got out on the open highway it was a gem of a ride. Most of my days were between 2 & 5 hours of riding. I felt very safe and even rolled at 95 mph pulling a trailer. The only downside to the Voyager kit is the very low clearance so you have to be very careful around speed bumps and uneven city streets and entry curbs. It could be nerve racking and a butt breaker for the passenger. I have a set of lifting bloocks made by a member over @ NAGW forums and as soon as spring gets here I will instal newly rebuilt rear shocks with these new lift blocks to give a bit more clearance. In the following pictuers you will see the frame cover as it came from the factory but I have removed it & am in the process of sectioning the "hump as it interferes with the stock tail lights. I am taking 3 " out of the rear and the area where those ugly lights (H-D) on the cover will be repalced with a double barreled shotgun type of holes (right & left)for access to dual tip exhaust tips. I have not had this kit off Baby since it was installed but only because I have had no reason to do so. https://www.mtcvoyager.com/

Attachments

• Picture 122.jpg
    Picture 122.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Picture 121.jpg
    Picture 121.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Fysty's Baby 2.jpg
    Fysty's Baby 2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Fysty's Baby 1.jpg
    Fysty's Baby 1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Fysty's Baby before 1&2.jpg
    Fysty's Baby before 1&2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 121
nice angela ...its looks like a well set up product to me ...ground clearence is a problem on all trikes id think ....wings are low to begin with and triking it speads that out....great pics to show it thanks

Latest posts