GL1000 Overheating

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

76Wing94

Reaction score
My wing is overheating when its not moving. I haven't put it on the road yet, but the fan should kick on before it overheats, and it doesn't. The thermostat is fine, and the fan itself is fine.

I just put a switch on my fan on my 80 GL1100. You might want to check the fan itself. If it turns or maybe has hardware stuck in the blades.

76Wing94":3uiucibq said:
The fan itself runs. where is the thermo switch?

On page 128 of the shop manual in our Gallery there's a parts breakdown which shows the thermostat, housing, and thermostatic switch.
This is a link to the GL1000 Shop Manual cooling system and testing.

Follow the wires from the fan back to the center of the engine and you will see a black rubber connector that the wires run into at the thermostat. Under the rubber connector is the thermal switch. They do go bad but are replaceable.

The Honda place wants to rape me $94 for a new fan control switch. I believe I will be bypassing that with a $5 switch.

$94!!! That's rediculous!

There's a GEO thermoswitch that apparently works OK but I went with an aftermarket Hayden fan control.
The sweet part of this is you can dial the temp wherever you want it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-3653/?rtype=10

hda-3653_w.jpg

I just put a on/off switch on it for free. I think I'm gonna quit going to the Honda place. They told me a new radiator would cost me $607. I only payed $500 for the bike. I will replace the antifreeze tomorrow, add some stop leak and crank it up. :grin:

Put it back together and cranked it up today. It says its overheating still. According to a laser thermometer, the left side is fine and runs around 180 degrees Fahrenheit. The right side runs about 50 degrees hotter.

yeap thats a big difference....no doutb somethings up.....on that side ....i dont know about laeser thermos but thats a huge difference...maybe blown head gaskit

....or some kind of restriction to that head .....iwouldnt run it like that till you figure out whats up .....time to find out if the water is circulating ...check for exhast gas in radiator......take the thermostat out till so you can tell if its circulating right or what....good luck :mrgreen:

Our laser thermometer is pretty accurate and we took readings from basically everything on the right side. The thermostat is opening, but maybe not at a low enough temperature. I think the next step is to take out the thermostat and try it like that. The head gasket seems to be okay because it has what feels like full power for a 1000 and its not smoking or changing the color of fluids.

I will update everyone tomorrow if I get a chance to work on it.

okay. Now it is flooding. When I turn off the gas and it gets the right amount, it runs strong and sounds good. When I turn the gas back on it floods big time.