engine paint

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash2002

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to sandblast my 1000 engine, what would be a good paint to use. I don't want to have to repaint after a year. I was looking at this paint called POR-15 is this stuff any good or will the engine spray enamel in a can do the job. Is there something better?

Why sand blast? If the paint on your engine is peeling in some areas, just scrape and sand smooth. Sand blasting will leave a rough profile on the aluminum (unless that is the look you are going for).

Here is a thread on when I swapped out my engines. I took the new to me dirty, peeling engine and cleaned it up, repainted and installed. 2 1/2 years later the paint is still glossy and looking new! I used Duplicolor engine paint, 2 coats and while the second coat was tacky I sprayed Duplicolor high heat clear. After the paint dried on the surface, I ran the engine till hot & baked the paint on the rest of the way. Take a look and you be the judge!

viewtopic.php?p=4403#p4403

mcgovern61":3i8rjmdj said:
Why sand blast? If the paint on your engine is peeling in some areas, just scrape and sand smooth. Sand blasting will leave a rough profile on the aluminum (unless that is the look you are going for).

Here is a thread on when I swapped out my engines. I took the new to me dirty, peeling engine and cleaned it up, repainted and installed. 2 1/2 years later the paint is still glossy and looking new! I used Duplicolor engine paint, 2 coats and while the second coat was tacky I sprayed Duplicolor high heat clear. After the paint dried on the surface, I ran the engine till hot & baked the paint on the rest of the way. Take a look and you be the judge!

I see you did a nice job of painting, the reason I want to sand blast is, the bike was sitting in a shed for over 9 years, so the motor is in bad shape. When I sand blast, I will be using glass powder which is not rough, so the motor should come out smooth.

flash2002":37bf4jbt said:
mcgovern61":37bf4jbt said:

I see you did a nice job of painting, the reason I want to sand blast is, the bike was sitting in a shed for over 9 years, so the motor is in bad shape. When I sand blast, I will be using glass powder which is not rough, so the motor should come out smooth.

I've seen numerous engine removals and repaints but, I've never seen anyone use a media blast to clean one. However, that doesn't mean it won't work. I will suggest that you take extraordinary measures to mask off any areas that will allow media to enter the engine. After you've completed the paint removal, consider removing as many parts as possible that use gaskets and paint those parts separately. Nothing looks better than an engine repaint with new and unpainted gaskets peeking through. Also, now would be the time to remove and clean your oil strainer, and replace those important fan, thermo. and oil sensors.

Regarding paint, if you want the closest thing to factory stock, use the paint below as it's a dead-on match. As I'm sure you're aware, the key to a successful paint job is preparation. So, make sure you clean your surfaces well, then use an etching product and then a primer prior to your final color coats. By the way.....clear coating an engine is risky. Some have been happy (above) and some have not, as the coating turned yellow over time. You'll need to decide if it's right for you. Good luck with your project.

Only the Heat Shield has been repainted in this photo
image.php

The can
image.php

The code
image.php

You should PM Motowalt found with the cool Bike of The Year. He painted his engine and it came out great. Find out what he used.

Latest posts