76 shifter very stiff

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offcenter

Reaction score
Hey gang, The shifter pedal on my 76 is very stiff, like it's binding.
When I brought this bike home a year ago, it shifted like butter.
Now the shift pedal won't return to center. It sticks and stays where
ever it's set.
Now, I did replace the water pump on this bike back in the fall, but
I could swear it didn't bind after that. The bike hasn't been ridden
since the pump was replaced. Could replacing the pump cause this?
I believe some of the shifter parts are behind the pump, right?

Thanks gang. (got a bad feeling I'll be taking everything apart again)

It might be the clutch has a few stuck plates I think. Does the pedal stick in position moving up and down from neutral? Not far enough to shift just moved. Did you refill the crankcase with oil after the water pump change or was it left dry?

Offcenter":1848pl5l said:
Now, I did replace the water pump on this bike back in the fall, but
I could swear it didn't bind after that. The bike hasn't been ridden
since the pump was replaced. Could replacing the pump cause this?
I believe some of the shifter parts are behind the pump, right?
Unfortunately you may be on to something. When something doesn't work right, the last place you were is a good place to start.

Seems like I've read the 1000 is picky about the front gasket thickness. Anything other than stock gasket put on?
Maybe the linkage up front got bumped or bent?

There is a double acting spring there too that centers the pedal.
If that got dislodged from it's end hook points or the spring is broken, the pedal will 'flop' up and down under no spring tension. If the pedal sticks up or down then I'd say the linkage is binding but who knows, if the parts were completely dry of oil rust could have set in between the parts too.

+1 on the front gasket thickness. The tolerance between the shifter pivot shaft and the front cover is very tight. When I was "experimenting" with different part combinations on my '83 rebuild, I would assemble an engine without gaskets. If I even slightly tightened the front cover, the shifter would lock up.

Try running it at idle and go through the gears while on the centerstand. Shifting is much easier when the gears are turning. Under no load, a clutch issue won't matter, it should still shift. If the binding is still there, you're probably gonna have to pull the front cover.

:Awe: I assembled everything using gaskets from a aftermarket kit that was recommended on this forum I believe.
I bought the entire kit and just used what I needed for the front covers.
Can anyone recommend a thicker gasket?
I'm assuming that none of this stuff is available from Honda anymore
for a 37 year old bike.
(I am NOT looking forward to re-doing this project. :sensored: )

Don't know if the 1000 is the same up front as the 110o, but if the centering spring got knocked loose, or out of place somehow, it might cause a bind on the mechanism.
Unfortunately, whatever the problem is, it appears the front will need to come back off. I know what it feels like...I had to re-do the front on mine too after replacing the waterpump....one of the o-rings was the wrong size, and it leaked.... :rant:

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=114489#p114489:1cdhmnmg said:
Steve83 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:27 pm[/url]":1cdhmnmg]
Did you try my suggestion of running and shifting while on the centerstand? If so, was there any difference?

Yes, I tried that Steve. No difference. I can shift it thru the gears. But the shift
lever doesn't return when I take my foot off of it.
I can feel that the shift lever is actually binding on something.
Doesn't matter if I shift it up or down. Wherever the shift lever is, it stays. It won't return.

One more thing, make sure the shift lever isn't binding against the case or exhaust headers. If everything's free and clear on the outside, it looks like the front cover needs to come off.

yep. like the cover needs to come off. If there is only sealant on one side of the gasket it might be re useable. cleaned real good with carb cleaner.