front tire wear

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who444444

Reaction score
It seems like the right side of my front tire is wearing ever so slightly more than the left side.
If it's not my imagination, what might be the cause of this?

:headscratch:

thanks as always for any info,
dave

Camber of the road? Oops!! that's me that drives on the left side of the road :smilie_happy:

I would think the camber/crown on the roads would be the best explanation. In some places on my commute, the curves are seriously cambered. If I get stuck in traffic in those spots, it's hard for me to keep the bike upright...my foot will not reach/barely reach the ground on one side, and my leg is bent at the knee on the other side. With the bike upright, that tends to wear on the side of the tires.
Might also be the wheel/tire leaning, due to uneven fork height from one side to the other?

Right turns are always tighter than left turns. Remember we drive on the right side of the road. So right turns you tend to lean a bit more.

thanks. all good answers. I'll check fork height as I did put the 78 front end on this 76.
new bearings but will check axle clamp bolts.
I think slabghost might be on to a legitimate scenario with the tighter right turn thing.
I'll keep an eye on it.
dave

I put Dyna Beads in my tires and I am very happy with the results. The ride is much smoother. They are supposed to also eliminate cupping and uneven wear on front tires. I have not had the beads in long enough to comment on this but that is the claim. Maybe others here with more experience with Dyna Beads can confirm or deny this.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129649#p129649:1o7551r9 said:
Omega Man » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:16 am[/url]":1o7551r9]
Dynabeads are legit, just be sure to get the valves that prevent clogging when airing the tires(don't ask me how I know :doh: ).

~O~
Dyna beads need special valves?
Mine went right in and no clogging when adding air :headscratch:

I've got 6000 miles on my front tire using Counteract balance beads, much the same as Dyna beads with no cupping or uneven wear. They do use special valve cores which prevent the accidental occurrence of a bead becoming lodged in the core and stem allowing air to leak past the core. Very rarely will happen.

Latest posts