Tank cap venting

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tank needs to be vented for the fuel pump to supply the proper pressure. The cap is vented to allow air in, but not out, in case of a tip over. You need to determine if it's suction or pressure when you remove the cap. A little pressure is normal, especially in hot weather.

mine does the same thing. I bought a new off the shelf Honda cap for the gl1100. It does it too. I was going to soak it in mystery oil this week. but now with other with this I do not know what to think.

I thought that was why when I twist the throttle I am now getting a hesitation before it goes.

If you think that the tank may be pulling a vacuum and causing the bike to miss because of fuel starvation, pull over and crack the tank an see if the problem goes away.

With faulty tank vent it is normally a starving situation after cruising for awhile or a flat out run. If it is constantly stumbling when you feed throttle then it is a carby issue ( float level, accelerator pump, air leak etc) IMHO

i put a couple of gal in the tank and by the week end it is gone and i smell fuel in the house (bike is in the garage) and there is fuel around the top of the tank

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130111#p130111:wc6gpndy said:
rock42 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:09 pm[/url]":wc6gpndy]
i put a couple of gal in the tank and by the week end it is gone and i smell fuel in the house (bike is in the garage) and there is fuel around the top of the tank

hmmmmmmm

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130111#p130111:24erqrdj said:
rock42 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:09 pm[/url]":24erqrdj]
Garage must be really warm. I've had gas in a open bucket (for cleaning) take almost a week to evaporate.

It is more than likely leaking past the float valves or the tank has a leak in it to empty that quickly

I had a small one gallon metal gas can in the trunk of my car when I was in school in Arizona. One day I open the trunk and see the forgotten can is collapsed like a semi truck dove over it, I never smelled gas. :shock:

That would be vaccum that caused that Randy. When it is hot the can expands and more than likely some gas/air leaks the when it all cools off it shrinks and sucks the can in under vaccum

FYI.....a few years back I had my gas leaking out of the carbs and into the engine from the needle valves not seating and gas still being drawn out of my tank even after the bike was off. The gas leaked down the intake manifold and also ended up dripping out of my exhaust pipes in the middle where there where pinholes.

Bottom line, I had the carbs rebuilt, re-cleaned the needle seats to be sure they sealed and made sure the petcock actually sealed when it was closed.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130111#p130111:32ix4mbk said:
rock42 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:09 pm[/url]":32ix4mbk]

Be a good time to quit smokin'.

i live in texas and the garage does get hot, also when i run the engine it idles great but i when i put a load on the bike it wont go faster than 60mph at full throttle wonder if the leak from the gas cap is somehow connected to this problem

Latest posts