Water pump

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash2002

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a water pump that I had taken off my GL1000. I was looking at rebuilding the pump with a kit they have on E-Bay. Is a rebuild kit any good, did anybody use a kit for the pump with success ?

Didn't know they had a rebuild kit for the pump only. Not sure how the impeller mounts but I would think that would have to come off and you would never want it to come loose either so??.
They do say the stock bakelite impeller has better circulation though, would depend on how the impeller mounts that would decide to rebuild or not.

I've rebuilt three water pumps, all metal impeller. I do not recommend rebuilding the bake lite pumps because after thirty years, the ones I've seen have began to flake on the edges of the vanes and they developed hairline cracks and will crumble. I've got one metal impellar pump that has 7,000 miles on it with no problems, the other two have not been installed yet. The kits on Ebay from rainer in Germany are good kits and they are honest people to deal with, never had a problem with the seller.

I would bet they say bakelight impeller is better because they sell a rebuild kit.

Before I would concider rebuilding or buying any parts I would get the old pump apart ready for the new parts and check carefully there's no cracks in the bakelight.
Seems to be hardest part here is doing this without damaging it.

Edit: like backlander said ^

note the metal pumps and bakelite are not the same size they require different parts.

I got a few pictures of the pump and a bit of how I took it apart. The black plastic is a piece of abs pipe cut out to go around the blades and the rest is pins and a clamp to take it apart, the pipe is just to hold it in place for show. One of the bearings was bad so it's a good thing I took it apart, I didn't feel that bearing being bad when it was together. Not all the parts are in the pictures and the pictures are just for show if you are wondering why the blade looks bent.

Attachments

• 100_1556.jpg
    100_1556.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_1557.jpg
    100_1557.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_1558.jpg
    100_1558.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_1555.jpg
    100_1555.jpg