75 v 82 cams

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the only change you made other than the carbs was to cut down the air filter, you could be running rich. When you cut down the air filter, you decreased the amount of air it could pull at wide open throttle.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132845#p132845:1mdz47o7 said:
chilidawg » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:34 pm[/url]":1mdz47o7]
Tonight, I had nothing better to do than to compare the height of these 2 different year camshaft lobes, following both of them passing the thumbnail test for wear on the top of the lobe.

I used a Frankford Arsenal caliper that zero's perfectly, and as I'm just taking a "difference" between the 2 components. Calibration, or the quality of the instrument shouldn't be issue, yeah?

OK, here's what I found! They where all very close so averages where:-

75 camshaft...
Inlet 1.465"
Exhaust 1.447"

As opposed to.

82 camshaft...
Inlet 1.452"
Exhaust 1.446"

There is no way that I could measure duration. And I have no opinion on that whatsoever.

But this is real time measurements of >32 year old equipment, but my deal is....

How does just 0.013" on the inlet cam make such a difference?
Looking at the original question: it looks like the measurements are of the total height of the cam, which look pretty close from '75 to '82. But to measure lift you have to subtract the diameter of the base circle of the cam. Maybe the base circle of the '75 is smaller. :doh:

I do apologize for the delay fella's, but it would appear that there is more to life than my Goldwing, namely, earning a living, grown up kids with the usual problems, having my backyard broke into and my generator stolen and staying in the house due to wicked cold weather, (I ain't as hardy as I was when I lived in blighty all those years ago!)

But a month or so ago I had a very good conversation over the phone with an extremely good friend of ours, that opened my eyes to a lot of things, I also gained an overview of where I may have messed up completely, but all is not lost, I shall, this weekend, be taking all of his advice under advisement and working on it with his thoughts at my back, thanks to all of the above being quelled for now.

I now have everything in place to continue working on the old girl, thanks for your patience, especially to our special friend. :builder:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136274#p136274:2dfjadwk said:
dan filipi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:14 pm[/url]":2dfjadwk]
Special friend?
Who?

Dan, all due respect dude but if the man want's to make it public.

Then HE will.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136278#p136278:2ywnm8gs said:
chilidawg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:28 pm[/url]":2ywnm8gs]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136274#p136274:2ywnm8gs said:
dan filipi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:14 pm[/url]":2ywnm8gs]
Special friend?
Who?

Dan, all due respect dude but if the man want's to make it public.

Then HE will.
Well I was just wondering who you meant because I have many special friends here.

ok its me ... i did it ... i didnt mean too ... dont take my wrench ... :smilie_happy: ...we great had a great conversation about single carbs ... it ok to mention me chillidawg ...and thanks by the way ... we all here try to help one another ...ive been helped many times myself by others :mrgreen:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136284#p136284:1wzhhczq said:
joedrum » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:40 pm[/url]":1wzhhczq]
ok its me ... i did it ... i didnt mean too ... dont take my wrench ... :smilie_happy: ...we great had a great conversation about single carbs ... it ok to mention me chillidawg ...and thanks by the way ... we all here try to help one another ...ive been helped many times myself by others :mrgreen:

:good: :clapping:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133907#p133907:1e5im1bh said:
chilidawg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:10 pm[/url]":1e5im1bh]
Where do I start? I guess it's got to be somewhere, so here it is! Rebuild is now complete &.......

I now own the tightest, smoothest running 82 goldwing I have ever owned and I honestly believe that includes the 82 I had in 84, and definitely includes every metamorphosis of this bike I have ever put on the road in 15 years! It is also stronger than any 1000 I have ever ridden. Gee Joe, you really got that one right, for sure!

But! And there has to be one don't there? Only if I am super smooth on the gas, any attempt at goosing it makes it bog down like a mother-expletive, even hitting it at 4.5K in 2nd, it will bog, now when it recovers, it is nothing but fast :mischief:

I just know, this bike would be nothing but awesome, if it where only responsive. the only real change I made this time (apart from finding 2 heads that work perfectly together and rebuilding them with 75 cams) was to replace the 2 1/2" high air filter with a 1 3/4" to make more room for the suspension compressor and not have to cram down on the fake tank covers so much.

I have also pulled the filter to make sure that the now free floating choke flaps did not close when goosed, and they are not.

My only fix so far for this, has been to give the Weber more left twist on the mixture screw and it don't seem to be working, I am now at about 5 turns out from closed.

I have tried to upload movies with no luck, they are either too big or corrupted somehow.

Any ideas are appreciated Fellas, thanks.

My Weber had #50 primary low speed jet and a #60 secondary low speed. I had a big time bog on mine so I swapped the #60 jet into the primary and the bog went away. Take a look at the jets you have and maybe you can do the same.

Brian

I believe, or at least hope, I have the answer to my bogging down issue.

When my auto choke was removed the operating hole was filled in with silicone.

Whilst removing said carburetor today, the silicone plug fell out into my hand, hey, how about that, who'd a thought it.

Of course I plugged it back off much more effectively, will rebuild with new gaskets and such and let y'all know.

And this guy here is now a C5 owner, just waiting on contact and delivery from supplier.

My Weber had #50 primary low speed jet and a #60 secondary low speed. I had a big time bog on mine so I swapped the #60 jet into the primary and the bog went away. Take a look at the jets you have and maybe you can do the same.

Brian[/quote]

I have a 160 primary jet and a 220 secondary jet, my carb is a 32/32 DFT. I can't find parts for any of it on any search engine I've found. maybe you can help!

thats great chilli .... stay on that carb .. in my opinion it is just a tad big ...but with your early cams in your 1100 it should handle it ...and for sure shouldnt loose out at high rpm at all ...but you got to get the low and mid going good for that to matter... so dialing this carb in is a must and at the top of things to do ... more so than like a dft weber needs..... carb i have is 24-25dft fixed air chokes my carb like yours is 26-27 fixed air chokes ..in my opinion thats a lot of air .. something to keep in mind ...the dft webers most are using is 22-22 air ...

if you need more choke on your carb in the primary barrel ..i have found that some pvc connectors put in the top of carb can change the air flow .. length of the connector is like velocity stack and speeds the air...allowing carb to get the velocity to make good gas charge... not saying it needs that ..caveman main barrel air getting ...i ended up not needing them but i can sure tell you it works to change air on fixed choke carbs ...no messing with carb either out side the carb mod....

it will be interesting how good this carb can get ...ive got two builds myself going for me and this carb will be on one....

welcome to the c5 club :eek:k: ...well didnt see that post above congrats maybe your getting close already :clapping:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136446#p136446:1mn1gxwy said:
chilidawg » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:59 pm[/url]":1mn1gxwy]

Brian

I have a 160 primary jet and a 220 secondary jet, my carb is a 32/32 DFT. I can't find parts for any of it on any search engine I've found. maybe you can help!

All this information, I only found out today, so it's what I have to work with!!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136448#p136448:20q8aq5e said:
chilidawg » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:14 pm[/url]":20q8aq5e]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136446#p136446:20q8aq5e said:
chilidawg » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:59 pm[/url]":20q8aq5e]

Brian

All this information, I only found out today, so it's what I have to work with!!

Those numbers are for the primary and secondary air jets. When you look down at the carb you will see 4 jet holders; the 2 middle ones are for the primary and secondary main jets and the 2 outside ones hold the low speed jets. If you unscrew the jet holders you will find the jets on the ends of the holders.

I ordered a low speed jet from these guys several months ago.
https://www.fastroadcars.co.uk/shop/inde ... ct=viewCat

If you unscrew the jet holders for the primary and secondary low speed jets and one is a 50 and the other at 60 then you can just swap jet holders and all and see if it makes any difference to how it runs.

Latest posts