GL1100 RATTLING NOISE

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
those are ugly. Rest assured if you do them right the bike will run so very nice. Mine wasnt very bad at all but it made big difference after i finished with them. Have to try very hard to get the primary buzz

I still have a set in a plastic bag that were so bad , just too much for me to dick with..bought another set from epay..Check out the screens under the float seats too, check for rips and delamination of the screens..These are the last line of defence as well as protecting the accelerator pump nozzles.
Check your accelerator pump nozzles too, without them there is a slight stumble that will drive you nuts.

Well got gaskets installed them. No leaks. Install carburetors on bike. It started right up sound good. I had a water leak on o-ring for water cross over tube. Put new o-ring in it and that fix that leak, but there is another leak under there some where's around the cross over tube box.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138076#p138076:ajedooyu said:
auctioneeral » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:40 am[/url]":ajedooyu]
Well got gaskets installed them. No leaks. Install carburetors on bike. It started right up sound good. I had a water leak on o-ring for water cross over tube. Put new o-ring in it and that fix that leak, but there is another leak under there some where's around the cross over tube box.
:doh:
Keep at and you will triumph :yahoo:

Guys, For what its worth.

Here are three pics of the same carb and properly set floats.

Note the second pic is vertical and this is the correct method for setting them.

Same float in pic one is horizontal and also correct but it has collapsed the spring.

While it is not prevalent to the correct float height, the float (in pic three) when horizontal in the "as to be ran" position, the float should not be lower than the top of the tower. This prevents the F/V from opening to much, becoming lodged and may solve the sticking condition.

Pistol

Attachments

• DSC02232.JPG
    DSC02232.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC02231.JPG
    DSC02231.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC02230.JPG
    DSC02230.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 86
Thanks pistolpete. Pictures are indeed worth a thousand words. In picture two you have the hinge at the bottom. I have found it easier to do hinge up myself. Is there any real difference in the setting or is it just easier for me to hold the carb rack and measure hinge up? I usually do the floats while the rack is complete.

Slabghost,
Either way works.
Two reasons I prefer the float up is the margin for error is nearly gone and it is easier to see when that set of floats is at eye level.
Pistol

Well I found water leak. Its the o-ring that is in top of block were the thermostat housing bolts to block on left side. So I'm ordering all the o-rings for the water tubes and replacing stat at same time.
Does anybody know how I can remove side saddlebags hondaline without key. I have no key for side bags.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138212#p138212:1ai5rxsn said:
auctioneeral » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:43 pm[/url]":1ai5rxsn]
Well I found water leak. Its the o-ring that is in top of block were the thermostat housing bolts to block on left side. So I'm ordering all the o-rings for the water tubes and replacing stat at same time.
Does anybody know how I can remove side saddlebags hondaline without key. I have no key for side bags.

Allen,
Remove the seat and removal of the entire bag set may be possible. Watch for "sleeper" bolts.
The water tube oring replacement will be easier with the carbs off and removal of the entire cross tube assembly. Order the thermostat oring and the one under that tube block.
Pistol

There are bolts inside the bags so lid has to come off to remove them.
A locksmith shouldn't have any trouble making keys for them locally. Roncar here can make keys from the codes also if he's still doing that.
I see he has removed the link to his service in his signature.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138215#p138215:1ztgtne9 said:
dan filipi » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:27 pm[/url]":1ztgtne9]
There are bolts inside the bags so lid has to come off to remove them.
A locksmith shouldn't have any trouble making keys for them locally. Roncar here can make keys from the codes also.

Agreed, but the code is on the inside of the lock and the bolts are attached to frame members.
The bags can be carefully removed with most of the frame attached but it will take two people to do so. Its not easy but possible.
Pistol

Before I get done with this bike I will have it completely torn down. Today water leak stop me working on motor. So I was looking to see how to remove bags. No key so that stop me. So I took fairing off because on some cracks and a pile of spaghetti wires going every where's.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138222#p138222:35iyb0mb said:
auctioneeral » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:12 pm[/url]":35iyb0mb]
Before I get done with this bike I will have it completely torn down. Today water leak stop me working on motor. So I was looking to see how to remove bags. No key so that stop me. So I took fairing off because on some cracks and a pile of spaghetti wires going every where's.

That's exactly what a donor is for :BigGrin:

At least you've got eBay to dispose of all the leftovers with, before the days of such things, I ended up giving my stuff away to a guy from Del Rio for free, (not even a 6 pack) and then only after I promised him that the engine was good. :evil: :whistling: :fiddle:

Yesterday got the second water leak fix. No O-Ring on right water tube. Started it up to get it warm to change oil& filter and notice oil and water leaking out weep hole on water pump. So now my plan is to pull motor to install new pump and pull heads to clean and install new valve seals, clean oil screen.
I just don't know when I will get around to it because of cold weather and will know tomorrow when I go in for intestine surgery.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138345#p138345:icbjqqr0 said:
auctioneeral » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:02 pm[/url]":icbjqqr0]
Yesterday got the second water leak fix. No O-Ring on right water tube. Started it up to get it warm to change oil& filter and notice oil and water leaking out weep hole on water pump. So now my plan is to pull motor to install new pump and pull heads to clean and install new valve seals, clean oil screen.
I just don't know when I will get around to it because of cold weather and will know tomorrow when I go in for intestine surgery.

Allen,
All the best to you on your surgery tomorrow.
Not to worry your ride will be there when you get back to her.
And so will we.
Pistol

Latest posts