'82 GL1100 Aspencade rear brake

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fogey

Reaction score
Calling all owners of the '82 GL1100 Aspencade only.

As many of you will know, we list stainless steel pistons for all four cylinder Goldwings, plus many others as well:

https://www.wingovations.com/stainles...ons/4588578196

We ran up against the GL1100 Aspy whilst doing research into these. It uses a unique piston 45107-MB9-871
Honda no longer list them (surprise, surprise) and no-one is making them because it is a one-bike, one-year only part.

So, this is to see if there is any demand for them. If we can get sufficient serious interest, we might have some made

We have decided to produce the long-gone, almost mythical 45701-MB9-871 piston for the 82 GL1100 Aspencade.

We have decided to also produce the 45701-MB9-781 piston as an addition to our product line. These are still available as OEM from Honda but obviously not in stainless steel. Needed for the GL1200

Both these pistons should be in stock in about 4 weeks.

(-781 & -871 ! Honda do like to confuse customers, dealers and search engines!)

In the meantime, I have cleaned up the four cylinder Wing piston page on the website, to make it much easier to order.
Now you have just to press one button to send an order for the pistons you need including the shipping.

https://www.wingovations.com/stainless-s ... 4588600239

Due to the way this is done, it's best viewed in Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer up to IE9. Later IE will not display properly.

While we are on the subject of the '82 Aspy, can anyone help with the dimensions of the rear rotor. No-one is doing a replacement, but there might be something in the disc line-uo of my German manufacturer that will swap in.

I need:
Overall diameter
Thickness
Offset
Bolt hole pitch circle diameter
bolt hole diameter
Rivet pitch circle diameter

I have an '82 interstate with a 2 piston aspencade back brake, that works perfectly.

As far as I can remember, all I did to install it, was to spread the pads a little wider to accommodate the 10mm rotor, the offset, rivet and bolt diameter, as well as the total diameter where exactly the same,

And I still have the interstate rotor to measure if you need those measurements.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142657#p142657:213d1slv said:
chilidawg » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:13 pm[/url]":213d1slv]
I have an '82 interstate with a 2 piston aspencade back brake, that works perfectly.

As far as I can remember, all I did to install it, was to spread the pads a little wider to accommodate the 10mm rotor, the offset, rivet and bolt diameter, as well as the total diameter where exactly the same,

And I still have the interstate rotor to measure if you need those measurements.

That's interesting and useful, thank you. I will have a look through the manufacturers lists later and see what they list for the Interstate. If that doesn't work, I'll be back to you for measurements.

Cheers,
John

According some other information I found, the Aspy disc is 280mm diameter instead of the normal Honda dimension of 296mm for the rear discs. Can anyone confirm this?
Must admit I'm almost at the stage of giving up n this model! :head bang:

I just measured the interstate rotor, 11 5/8", conversion calculator says 296mm = 11.653" close enough for me.

Can't measure the 10mm aspy rotor due to it being on the bike but the pads are following the same track as they would on the interstate rotor.

And 280mm = 11.023". So it follows that if the rotor was over 1/2 an inch smaller in diameter that would not happen.