On board compressor

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winger 82

Reaction score
Well I took my compressor off cause she would run but not build up pressure, had a heck off a time getting those darn little phillips head screws out,.but I got them out (will need a couple new ones for puttin it back together.) Got the motor off , then took apart the cylinder itself, my question is is there any kind of rings or "O" rings that go on the piston ? and "2" the little beads in the canister (I used to know the name for them) what color should they be, and can you run this without them ? I'm assuming they are for moisture, most of them are a whitish color, a few are a dark red. I have not dumped them out yet to see whats going on at the bottom yet. Thanks for any help in advance (Had had new fork seals put in also in case someone suggest that) It's off of a 82 Aspencade

I am pretty sure that you can bake the desiccant beads and restore their moisture absorbing properties or purchase new ones. Pretty sure that there aren't any o rings as the head and piston get really hot when pumping air and making pressure.

Thanks for the reply, yeah did not think there was any o rings on it after I played with it for a while, noticed if I moved the piston down with my finger on the inlet that it was drawing a pretty good vacuum. What kind of temp are we looking at if I try to dry them out ? Assuming that you would do it in an oven ?
Thanks
Winger 82

I just searched Google for desiccant ( silica gel ) regeneration and it was mentioned to bake at 180f. I am sure that there is more information and maybe some YouTube videos if you are prepared to spend some time searching :yes:

There are no O rings inside the compressor. But there are in the drier assembly, on the connections and on the sight glass.

I'm pretty sure the reason you stripped the screws is that you used a Philips screwdriver and not a JIS to remove them, that's normally the reason people think Japanese screws are weak. The real reason is that they are not Philips screws, they are Japanese Industry standard. Buy a set on Amazon for $20.

I've got a compressor and drier that I recently changed out on my bike hanging around if you want it for spares, I'm sure you could build a good set out it + what you have! I'd only want what it costs to ship. the compressor kept leaking back out through the inlet, thought is was the inlet reed, but then found it was only dirt when I pulled it apart. The drier is in good shape.

There are no O rings inside the compressor. But there are in the drier assembly on the connections and on the sight glass.

I'm pretty sure the reason you stripped the screws is that you used a Philips screwdriver and not a JIS to remove them, that's normally the reason people think Japanese screws are weak. The real reason is that they are not Philips screws, they are Japanese Industry standard. Buy a set on Amazon for $20.

I've got a compressor and drier that I recently changed out on my bike hanging around if you want it for spares, I'm sure you could build a good set out it + what you have! I'd only want what it costs to ship. the compressor kept leaking back out through the inlet, thought is was the inlet reed, but then found it was only dirt when I pulled it apart. The drier is in good shape.

Tip: Put a few drops of Mobil1 around the piston and the wrist (gudgeon) pin when you put it back together.

Thanks for the input on the screws, I'll have to check them out. I think it just needs a good cleaning and we'll be good. :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:

Latest posts