Here she is, I named her, "the Wanderer "

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my front forks are not working properly. I rebuilt them with the usual, new seals, bushing and progressive springs about 6 months ago. I put 15W oil at correct level and I believe a seal has failed. There is no oil present but when i push down with front brake on, sounds like air is coming out of the fork cap and there is no air in it. I replaced the schrader valve and still the same thing. The forks have no resistance as I can push down on them pretty easily. How can this be since I have progressive springs in there and there is no sign of oil leakage. Can you have a blown seal with no oil present? This is very strange!!

Even though you didn't put air in the forks, there is air in there. When the fork compresses the air is compressed also, unless it has a path out. The fork has to contain the air in it, I'd look at all of the places that air is sealed, besides the schrader valve. On the '86 there is a balance line and 'o' rings that could leak, besides the caps.

Wow, found the problem. A pinhole has formed on the cap. You can see it right next to shader valve.
I might just go with a regular 39mm cap

Actually, I only noticed this till now but it looks like the po or someone had drilled into the fork cap and it was just a matter of time until it compromised. I guess me installing new springs and seals maybe applied more pressure thus causing the pinhole. why would someone want to drill into the cap??
Well, I guess I can try to find another stock cap or just do away with air and get aftermarket.

I'd try that first just to see if it resolves the problem. If it does and the cap looks bad then I'd replace it.

Applied epoxy and pumped about 10lbs in. forks seem to be fine now, but the cap started to leak air.
I'm having a difficult time finding a stock right fork cap. I want to be able to put a little air in. even tried ebay and no luck, just a left cap. Will keep on looking. The area where the po had drilled is the problem, epoxy no match for forced air.

Allen drive set screw should plug it nicely. Left cap should fit the right leg too. Might need to modify the air fittings though.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176201#p176201:2bdhjpiw said:
Denver » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:49 am[/url]":2bdhjpiw]
Could be what the P O had in mind if hole was drilled. :headscratch:
Or an air gauge? :headscratch:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176193#p176193:127my0d7 said:
dan filipi » Today, 3:46 pm[/url]":127my0d7]
Can you drill and tap it to accept a thread in plug?

I will have to get a pic. po messed this cap up.

Understood!!! :yes: That's why it was never finished. :Doh2: Could you weld the hole shut? :headscratch: Might need some grinding, & not look purtey, but work. :roll:

Latest posts