'83 rear drive for '82?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuckxxxx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't even got the new rings for the '84 1200 engine that i am rebuilding and I will put into my '82 but I'm looking ahead at taller gearing. :headscratch: When I had the 1200 engine in this summer the RPMs at 60mph were about 3300 vs 3700 with the 1100 engine. This was nice but I would like to go even taller with taller rear end gears.

'83s have taller overall gearing than '82s and I'm assuming that transmission gears are the same but they have taller rear gears...is that true?

I just put a new rear tire on the 16" Comstar wheel on my '82 and I would like to retain that assembly. Would the '82 wheel mate up with the '83 rear drive?

Thanks in advance
Brian

Dan has a spread sheet comparing gear ratios et al under the Gallery Index andTech Referenced banner. Scroll all the way to the bottom, click Goldwing Differences.

Attachments

• IMG_0910.PNG
    IMG_0910.PNG
    884.6 KB · Views: 192
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=184428#p184428:32bf96gg said:
ekvh » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:54 pm[/url]":32bf96gg]
Dan has a spread sheet comparing gear ratios et al under the Gallery Index andTech Referenced banner. Scroll all the way to the bottom, click Goldwing Differences.
file.php
I must be doing something wrong...when I click on Gallery Index & Tech Ref I see this

Thanks for that Slabghost. I guess the '83s had different transmission ratios.

So then I would be looking at a 1200 rear drive, swing arm and wheel if I wanted higher gearing. Probably not worth the cost and effort then. :nea:

Joe has the 1200 rear on his bike Hooch so it can be done and the increased circumference of a car tire can increase final gear ratio. If you are interested in going that way he did a write up here on what he had to change and once in a while most if not all the needed parts can be found on ebay for very reasonable prices.

Slab beat me to it. Joe swapped up to a 1200 final drive and seems to like the the rpm difference. I followed suit and a 1200 has no trouble moving the 2.83 final drive around. I am glad I did it. I was lucky and found a 1500 complete rear from a trike job for $75 with a good 160 rear tire. That gave me a 16" wider rim, bigger brakes, and probably better bearings and 3.5" of length. Bolts onto a 1200 swing arm with a little work.

They show up now and then.

I always thought my '84 Aspy had a comfortable cruising RPM...until I got the Valkyrie. This ole phat gurl is positively lolligagging on the highway. I am running 3000 RPM at 70 MPH - which also happens to be a sweet spot in the power band and pretty much exactly where I like to cruise. It's no wonder they last 200,000 miles...

IMG_2841 - Copy.JPG

Latest posts