Carb running out of gas?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusterdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1949 panhead,1972 cb750,1980 gl1100,1985 gl1200,1998 cbr600f3 and 2003 vulcan 1600 classic
Im using an old washer bottle for a gas tank to start my wing with the dft carb,the bike runs for 15 seconds or so then dies,if i wait a minute or so,it restarts.can the carb be running out of gas?as in my rig isnt flowing gas fast enough?

hmmmm need pic duster ...need :useless: to how the carb is set up ...are the vacume lines plug that need to be ....really shot in the dark guessing ...dose gas squirt from accellerator pump into carb barrel like it suppose to ......

Yes on all points joe,im going to run it thru the fuel pump and see if that helps too

*If you are running it on gravity alone I would suspect that running out is just what is happening*..... this is a Fact!! you must have fuel pressure to run a dft! unless you mount your bottle 10 feet higher than the carb.. it will never keep the bowl close to full! the needle and seat are just too small, not like the carbs of the old day's with a large needle and seat

Cool,im gonna run it thru the stock pump in the am,will update then

Update,i tried to pump gas out of a csn on the floor but the pump wouldnt pull it.is that to be expected?im going to gravity feed to the pump tomorrow.dan,would you please post the link to the electric pump you were refering to?thanks

Im gonna try to gravity feed thru th stock pump tomorrow,we shall see

When one of mine came out of mothballs I used the "thumb over the in hole" on the fuel pump while I cranked the engine. Mine sure felt like it would have lifted gas from further away than the floor.

Comments about float needles and seats is probably dead on. What seems like an identical carburetor may have that subtle difference. If you looked at any of the rigs before emissions got really involved and there were carbs with bigger float valve passages. When you look at a snow machine that is "pumped" and compare to a gravity feed motorcycle you can see a huge difference in an otherwise similar carburetor.

Rockauto pump for 84, 1.8 liter Prelude, you will probably have to rig up mounting hardware, but easy to do, jumper wiring harness to connect to your stock harness was a MUST for me, & a guy in N J sells ORIGINAL connectors for this purpose. Works GREAT

GOOD LUCK

Ticking fuel pump is one thread it's in

Denver thanks,i ordered a universal pump off ebay,we'll see how it does

Latest posts