fouling #3 plug issue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuna boy

Reaction score
I keep having fouling problems with plug 3. I put in a new set of plugs and drove the bike twice and the miss was back after the second ride. I pulled the plugs and the plug 3 was black. I checked for spark and #3 had none. I took a small wire brush and cleaned the plug and got a good spark. I swapped plug 3 with plug 1. the bike ran strong again. I have had this problem for a while now. I am thinking maybe a stuck float?? Any ideas, really do not want to pull the rack.

If you can get some kind of container under the float bowl to drain the fuel there should be about 52CC`s in the bowl, gas valve off of course. sure sounds like a fuel overdose.
Should Not clean the plug with a wire anything, it will leave metal residue on the insulator and can cause misfiring, bead blast is the only way, or fire to burn away fuel.

Ya, I was thinking Seafoam but ATF would also be an option. I will also see if I can check the amount of gas in the bowl of #3.
Thanks

I have chased them where it ended up being bad float valves, maladjusted floats, but also a bad connection in the plug wires. Check where wires are threaded onto screw connection in the boot.

Run the ATF or seafoam in the fuel. On your rides shut off the fuel until it begins to sputter then turn it back on.Do this a couple times each ride and be sure to shut off the fuel before you turn off the bike. If that doesn't fix it in 2-3 rides you may have a saturated float.

Trust me, you can waste a LOT of time diagnosing when you could more easily see the issue by pulling the carbs and cleaning. I did both - waste a lot of time and ended up pulling them. Runs like a beast now...

Latest posts