Frame cracked...and other sad stories...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
:head bang:
It's been a sucky week, roof damage and all, but Friday, when it was time to head home from werk, the dang 'Wing wouldn't start...battery dead as heck. SOMEone had turned the key all the way to the right, leaving the park lights on all day. Dig out my pocket power jumper box, and IT'S dead, too. Grab the full size booster box and get it started. Made it home otay, but it wouldn't start back up once I got home. I put my new battery charger on it overnight, on the AGM/trickle mode. Battery has recovered.
Went to change the oil today, and decided I needed to find out why the durn bike seems un-steady when it's on the center stand...it moves/tilts left/right, instead of being firmly centered on the stand. Just something I noticed about a week or so ago. So, while down on the ground changing the erl, I looked around the frame to see if there was a problem with it, as I had already studied the center stand itself and found no issues. Well...turns out the frame IS cracked on the right side, apparently from the twisting fwd/backwards while putting it up on, and popping down off of the c-stand.

Looking from the left side, underneath...

From the right side, side view..

Guess I need to get this welded up asap.... :builder:

Before I stopped for the day, I checked the voltage to the batt while running....alternator seems to be still puttin out some good electrons...

My Pocket Power jump box, on the other hand, seems to be a total failure. Dang thing's only a couple of years old, but I plugged the charger in, and the light came on...not s'posed to do that. Try as I might, the On/Off button don't werk...like it's stuck "On". I noticed the dang thing is bloated in the middle...the box, that is...like perhaps the battery inside is corroding or something, and is bulging out. I did figure out that I can squeeze the thing, and turn it on or off...just by squeezing the box! :headscratch: Imma wondering if it just gets too hot in the saddlebag, and that is what caused it to do this. I'll hafta get a new one, but the warranty has run out on this one....looks like I'll be buying the replacement. :crying:

I know the feelin....

image.php

image.php

The lithium battery in your jump start pack has failed if it is swollen Joel. I had an iPhone 4s one do it recently and it wasn't being used just stored in the safe, popped all the back case off it.

Not the only spot on the frame that's rotten i see. :roll: Sorry to hear about your frame issues, welding in new metal may be the best solution for a real repair. :head bang: :sensored:

Denver":2tzgc28e said:
Not the only spot on the frame that's rotten i see. :roll: Sorry to hear about your frame issues, welding in new metal may be the best solution for a real repair. :head bang: :sensored:

:shock: :headscratch: :shock:
whachutalkinboutwillis??? You see something in the pic all the way in Ohio that I ain't seeing here?? Perhaps you are confusing Gerry's pics of his frame with mine? :hihihi:
I only have the one spot that is cracked....it's not rotted out, it's twisted from being put up on the c-stand. When I put it up on the c-stand, it comes up pretty hard. I also have to rock it back/forth a bit to get it down off the c-stand....all that rockin is twisting the crossbar on that side. I'm gunna weld it up as is. I can get to it fairly easily from the left side, from underneath. :good:

Joel, when you get in there to weld, be sure to check that the stand has not been bent at the same time. I only noticed it after I went to pull it off:

This:
image.php

Verses this:
image.php

It's only about a 1/2"-3/4" length crack on that one side. The other side is solid. It doesn't appear that the entire cross bar has been twisted, or bent....just the cracking at the one spot. I examined it for aboot an hour yesterday to make sure there were no other "gotchas". :beg:

Sorry, :oops: the weld on the frame, your circle is touching, looked a little rusty to my old eye's, :whistling: thought it was part of the problem. Glad it's not :good:

:hihihi: :good:

welding.gif

Got it all welded up. Pics this evenin onced I get home.

Nope...still at werk.... :hihihi:

It were raining yesterday when it was time to go home....I got a wee bit wet. Wasn't in the mood to snap any pics at that point. :rant:
I'll get them this weekend.... :good: