Rear axle

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ludwig

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_20160826_202113.jpg
Hi, I just finished installing the rear wheel and noticed a space between the swingarm and the caliper bracket. Everything is torqued to spec. Is this space something that I should worry about? Is something missing?

Missing the spacer, it looks like. Caliper bracket should be flush against the swingarm with the spacer inboard of that...I think. Going from memory here.

EDIT: I'm thinking GL1000. There are a few differences. YMMV

That's what I was thinking. But when I looked at the diagram blowups it shows only the inner spacer. I have the inner spacer in the hub, then the washer, then the caliper bracket. That's the way I've been riding it for 5 years. I can't seem to find any photos of the 1980 all I can find is 82 and 83. The Honda parts list doesn't show any outer spacer. I haven't driven the bike yet and I'm not sure if I should.

I did a little more looking and I found a picture in the manual. It's the only one I could find. It looks like it's supposed to be like that. The number 3 part is in. I put #3 then flat washer then the bracket. Then drove the axle in till it was seated. This is the way I bought the bike, well I'll find out for sure next week when I finish putting it back together. That diagram is showing the inner spacer, I guess the 80 didn't have an outer spacer. I don't know.

80-81 are different from the 82-83 yrs .....are you out of threads on the other side of axle ...seems to me it should draw the axle to the spacer till gap is gone ...then you clamp down the tension bolt on swing arm ....

The only picture I can find of this is in the manual. The picture shows no spacer between the swingarm and caliper bracket. I took a ride and the bike rode like new. The shock rebuild was easier than I thought. The rear wheel is solid, there is no wobble or shimmy. I think I'll put a few hundred miles on it and see what happens. Thanks

I have the same issue. As Op stated I can't find a diagram showing a spacer but if I torque the castle nut to let the cotter pin through and center the rotor in the bracket it creates a space between the bracket and axle shaft shoulder. I think a spacer should go there.

Gary H.
'81 gl1100i non-runner being converted to standard.

Thanks for the reply, is there any danger of not having a spacer? The only reason I'm asking is, I have driven the bike without a spacer for hundreds of miles and counting.and the rear wheel is solid, there has been no shifting or movement of any kind. Like I said in an earlier post the only picture I can find is in the official manual. And mine looks just like the picture. Maybe spacers were applied after 1980? Idk either. But as long as it rolls I'm riding. Even if a spacer does belong there, it has been obsolete for years and I probably wouldn't be able to find one. I thank everyone for their help and support.

Dangerous? Imo..very. Just went out to the garage and rubbed my hand on the inside of the rotor...it's toast. Apparently as the PO was riding the bracket shifted causing the rotor to rub the inside of the bracket. Today I ordered the spacer from Western Honda ($6.96). I'll source a good used rotor from e-bay when I rebuild the braking system.

Gary H.

Here is a parts catalog for 80, 81, and 82. Look at the number of parts needed for each year.
The 80 column is mostly 0.

Sorry I can not get it turned --so turn your head to read it.

CCI09112016.jpg

If any one wants a catalog for 80,81,82that is one catalog I can get it reprinted at Staples for about $22.00. It's so much a page. pm me if desired.

(Fixed pic orientation, df)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180329#p180329:36jkys54 said:
wilcoy02 » 2 minutes ago[/url]":36jkys54]
Here is a parts catalog for 80, 81, and 82. Look at the number of parts needed for each year.
The 80 column is mostly 0.

Sorry I can not get it turned --so turn your head to read it.

file.php
Look at the rear brake caliper diagram.

Gary H.

That sums it up. The 1980 model didn't have an outer spacer. The part does not exist. I have all of the parts that are shown in the diagram. Sorry to make a big deal out this but I just wanted to be sure. Some say it's supposed to have a spacer, but I think that was on later models. Thanks for the help. Resume normal activities.

I found on Goldwing docs others are talking about this same issue. I found a part number for the spacer( 42312-mb9-000 and it applies only to 82 & 83 so as surprising as that may be, what I have is 100% correct. No spacer between the swingarm and caliper bracket. Hooray!

Latest posts