Carburetor adjustment

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ludwig

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have discovered a problem with my #1 carb. It is opening when I open the throttle but when I try to adjust it, it doesn't do anything. I could turn the adjustment screw either way and it doesn't respond. I know I will probably have to remove the carbs to figure this out. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Could be stripped threads or carb idle circuit plugged ,tha first easy, second not so much :BigGrin:

Well, I guess I'll have to take em out. The hard part for me is getting them out, the harder part is diagnosing the problem, the hardest part is getting them back in, (connecting the throttle cables) . The bike is still running strong enough for now so I'll probably do it in the winter. Thanks all. :thanks:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180668#p180668:2q1ra2f6 said:
jnp17331 » Today, 3:53 pm[/url]":2q1ra2f6]
Could be stripped threads or carb idle circuit plugged ,tha first easy, second not so much :BigGrin:
I,ve found em stripped and a thin nut on tha underside ,tricky devils :heat:

I'd use the idle screw to set the unadjustable carb to rub a paper clip wire. Then adjust the other carbs at the linkage to fit the wire the same way.

as Slab said, the main thing is getting them all equal, the size object isn't so important because you can adjust the idle down or up , adjust the #3 carb using the idle screw till the paper clip(or whatever) has slight resistance then adjust the others to match using the sync screws, cycle the throttle by hand and recheck...after a good manual sync many find running sync is so close little or no further adjustment is necessary.

Thanks, I know how to adjust the carbs but the problem is that the adjustment screw on #1 is not working. It will turn in/out but has no effect. I believe it's either the screw is striped or the flap is stuck. I won't know for sure until I pull the S.o. b.'s out. Right now it starts and runs but it sounds like a diesel.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180779#p180779:smif7c7m said:
ludwig » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:56 pm[/url]":smif7c7m]
Thanks, I know how to adjust the carbs but the problem is that the adjustment screw on #1 is not working. It will turn in/out but has no effect. I believe it's either the screw is striped or the flap is stuck. I won't know for sure until I pull the S.o. b.'s out. Right now it starts and runs but it sounds like a diesel.
you could pull the manifold off and take a look to see if it is actually moving the butterfly, carbs don't have to come out to check the adjustment that way., pull the adjacent one too and compare.

Hmm, I just might have to try that. While I'm at it, I noticed inside of the intake chamber of each carburetor there are four tiny dots in a diamond pattern. When the flap is closed all the way the edge covers the outermost dot, when opened slightly the edge lines up with the two dots that are side by side, when opened to the third single dot it looks like the flap would be open too much. I was wondering if these dots are reference points for bench syncing. I know they are not there for decoration. Back to the manifolds, are they very hard to pull off while they are still on the bike? Cause the last time I had the carbs. Out I remember I struggled a bit getting them off.

Dots are where the fuel/air mixture enters the manifolds, they can be tough getting off the first time but usually are easier the next time, I spray mine with some WD40 before I slip them on, maybe makes the second time easier...I also put a blanket or something around things or wear gloves..sometimes you can bust your hand on something if they break free suddenly, seems pulling upwards would keep from damaging anything, I wouldn't use anything to pry but my hands.

Latest posts