Dead the Alive

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedoo2

Reaction score
The Gold Witch is the gift that keeps on giving. Got stuck at a gas station yesterday. Hit the starter and nothing. Now, I have had the starter drag a couple of times but it has always started. Yesterday, nothing.

The battery is at 12.8 and I have kept it on the tender. I have cleaned all of the connections and checked continuity on all of the wires from the battery to the starter. The dog bone is okay. I tried to jump across the solenoid and nothing so I suspect that. The bike will start easily when I put on the jumper cables.

What say you guys.

Have you taken the starter off and opened it up yet? It may be time to clean out the starter or even change the brushes. Dirt and dust accumulating can cause all kinds of intermittent problems.

More then some bikes these old wings need a good battery, can you have it tested? preferably dynamic test, not a fan of jumping with car batteries if you can avoid it, best to charge on a battery charger at 2 amps. Check your battery water while its out.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181407#p181407:3365txew said:
brianinpa » 15 minutes ago[/url]":3365txew]
Have you taken the starter off and opened it up yet? It may be time to clean out the starter or even change the brushes. Dirt and dust accumulating can cause all kinds of intermittent problems.

Would the fact that it will start every time with a jump kinda rule that out? I don't have any problem taking off the starter, in fact it's a good idea to change those brushes in the long run. Wish I had done it while I have had the several motors off the bike, but at the time the starter showed no sign of problems. But since it works now whenever I put it to another battery I don't know.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181413#p181413:3pzy4hqf said:
zman » 8 minutes ago[/url]":3pzy4hqf]
More then some bikes these old wings need a good battery, can you have it tested? preferably dynamic test, not a fan of jumping with car batteries if you can avoid it, best to charge on a battery charger at 2 amps. Check your battery water while its out.

Since the bike has sat for so long I neglected the water in the battery and it got low. I am going to change the battery today or tomorrow and see if that cures the problem. It is two years old and has been on a 2 amp trickle charge most of the time, but since it did get low on water it is probably a goner.

If that does not cure things I will get into the starter and maybe look at another solenoid. Think I'm on the right track here?

I was starting to have trouble starting my '82 until one day it only turned over about two times before dead. Took the battery out and only about 2 cells had any water showing. :swoon: Figured this meant new battery. :crying:

Just for the heck of it I filled all cells wth tap water and put the charger on for a while. Has been working fine for the past month. And that is an el-cheapo Yuasa battery that's about 5 years old. :rocks:

Could try disconnecting the wire at the starter and see if you hear a click at the solenoid. Usually that means the solenoid is fine.
Reconnect the wire then see what voltage you get at the starter and also at the battery positive post when hitting the starter button. They should be same or very close.
If below 10 then I'd suspect bad battery or low on charge.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181415#p181415:2e309ull said:
wedoo2 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:45 am[/url]":2e309ull]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181407#p181407:2e309ull said:
brianinpa » 15 minutes ago[/url]":2e309ull]

Would the fact that it will start every time with a jump kinda rule that out? I don't have any problem taking off the starter, in fact it's a good idea to change those brushes in the long run. Wish I had done it while I have had the several motors off the bike, but at the time the starter showed no sign of problems. But since it works now whenever I put it to another battery I don't know.

I thought the same thing... but I pulled it apart and found the brushes were shot. Cleaned everything up, replaced the brushes and didn't have another problem after that.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181421#p181421:1yp8bvr2 said:
dan filipi » 12 minutes ago[/url]":1yp8bvr2]
Could try disconnecting the wire at the starter and see if you hear a click at the solenoid. Usually that means the solenoid is fine.
Reconnect the wire then see what voltage you get at the starter and also at the battery positive post when hitting the starter button. They should be same or very close.
If below 10 then I'd suspect bad battery or low on charge.
Also check the ground cable at the frame. Can get corrosion there.

I did clean off the area around the ground cable. I also, a couple of weeks ago topped off the battery with distilled water. Also, the solenoid is clicking although I will do the check Dan mentioned May be later tonight or in the morning as I have a full day today with meaningless stuff that life is doing to me.

+1 with battery fully tested
When starters are fairly worn out (polling etc) I have been able to start the vehicle by supply lots of extra power :yes:

It never hurts to take the starter off, disassemble it , check the brushes, clean it up, fresh marine grease in the gears, and put it back together. That way, you will know the starter is not the problem.