Fake fuel tank (shelter) door removal

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnB1953

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how to put this or where so I will start here. I started to take the fake fuel tank apart so I can prep for paint and can not get the top door off. I tried a search but have not come up with any thing. Do I have to split the tank to get the top door off? Thanks John

On the 81 there are two doors. Front and rear. I'm guessing you are referring to the front door. While it likely is possible to remove it while the shelter is mounted it will be much easier if you remove it. Two bolts on either side of the front and two at the rear (under the front of the seat).

I have the tank off I am trying to get the door off. For lack of a better description it is the top door that doesn't want to come off. I have the bottom door off it was easy but can't for the life of me figure how the top one comes off it seems to hit where the 2 halves are riveted together .I have twisted and turned everyway I know but the hinge part won't clear the shell and come out.

It comes of without splitting the halves. You need to open/close the door until you find the sweet spot. Getting it off is only half the problem though. Get it back on without scratching the paint... that's the hard part.

Yeah, it'll come off, but patience, a bit of effort, and a few choice words are usually required. It's easier with the rubber seal removed. Remember how the counter-springs go, and don't lose their little rubber tips!

Take a pic of the door showing the springs before you remove.
I thought I could remember mine-WRONG
It does come off with out splitting the halves.
You will double your curse words when you go to put it back together again.

IT CAN BE DONE.

You need to have that thing off the bike, on your lap upside down in front of the TV and 2 very slim, (Snap-on are good) 10mm combo wrenches in your hands.

Front door is mounted with 2 x 6mm machine screws around a weird ass purpose built spring deal that you just can't describe by typing.

And it gets a whole lot more difficult when you've got compressor gauges to contend with but it did get done eventually.

A couple of beers helped enormously.