Year of the bike from the frame number?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
Got an email from a Luciano Raschi in Italy. Can we help answer the question?

Hi Dan

My name is Luciano Raschi and I write you from Italy, I'm sorry to bother you at the email address of the Admin but I have trouble with the Forum. My problem is this, and I need help.

I am possessor of a Honda Goldwing GL 1100 1981 has the following chassis numbers and engine.

Chassis no. SCO2-4104168

Engine n. SCO2E-2127246

The bike has been built in the United States and has been cleared in Genoa on 05/27/1981; and it was subsequently registered in Italy in Brescia on 07/01/1981.

From the information I have the chassis numbers and engine of the Honda Goldwing GL built in the year 1981 should be the following:

Frameworks 1HFSCO27BA100001 to 1HFSCO27BA127620

Engine SCO2E-2100002 in SCO2E2133800

As for the engine numbering find correspondence with the year of construction "1981", as one of my bike it is SCO2E2127246 and surely was built that year.

As for the chassis do not find correspondence and can not understand where does this "odd" numbers of the frame and in which year of manufacture and model refers.

Can anyone help me identify the year of construction of the bike from the frame number.

I include photos of the motorcycle, the chassis number stamped on the steering head, the ition number of motor and the type plate located on the frame at the height of the rear brake pedal.

Thank you so much for your attention.

Greetings Luciano Raschi

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Not sure. That frame plate sure is different from the ones on my '81 and '82. Our frame plates state right on them which year they are.

Agreed, :headscratch: every one i've owned had that plate, as well as any i've ever seen. :yes:

Imma gunna go out on a limb and state that this was an export bike....never meant to be sold in the USA. Don't know if there are different lighting restrictions/requirements on bikes for export to other countries, but I know there are on cars. VINs on cars also will indicate they are meant for the export market. Unless someone here has experience with export stuff, we may ever know.

Apparently, Honda still had some 11 digit VINs out there back then;

Honda Motorcycles
[edit]1979-'95
From 1979 to 1995 Honda had a 11-digit VIN, e.g. RD023600883
R: cc (A=up to 50, D=up to 70, H=up to 80, J=up to 125, K=up to 150, M=up to 250, N=up to 400, P=up to 600, R=up to 800, S=up to 800)
D: type of motorcycle (B=kids bike/ATC, C=Street, D=Enduro, E=OHV/Offroad bike - not street legal, F=Scooter)
02: internal production number (here NX650 Dominator)
3: version
6: series
00883: serial number

S = up to 800cc and above
C = Street
O2 = internal production number (GL1100)
4 = version (Interstate)
1 = series (1981)
04168 = serial number

Definitely an export plate imho. Val has an export plate but it varies in the vin prefix, at least there are records to confirm that information. The other interesting aspect with Val ( and other UK and Au export bikes) is a tpi located at the rear on the rh carby bank. It now makes it easier for me to recognise Aussie delivered Valkyries compared to personal imports ( "grey" imports like the Rats Nest).

Good evening, I'm Luciano Raschi, I write from Italy, and I want to thank all those who have done their utmost to try to clarify the problem of numbering the chassis of my Honda Goldwing GL 1100 1981.
Special thanks to "Gerry" which reconstructed comprehensively to year through the interpretation of the frame numbers Honda.
Many thanks to you all the Classic Gold Wings. Sorry for my bad English.

P.S. I am a fan of vintage motorcycles and owner of several vintage motorcycles (Moto Guzzi, Triumph, Velocette, B.S.A., Benelli, Ducati, Rumi etc.etc.) If you need some more information on these motorcycles do not hesitate to contact me ; My email address is:
[email protected]

Hello Gerry, good evening (in Italy it is already dark) I want to personally thank you for the valuable contribution they have given to the resolution of my doubts about the year of construction of my Honda Goldwing 1981. By analyzing the sequence of the chassis number as you indicated there is no doubt that the motorcycle was built in the year 1981 even though the numbering of the frame is to assume that Honda has built motorcycles in the year 1981 with the VIN old numbering. I'm a fan of vintage motorcycles and I have several motorcycles (Guzzi, Ducati, Velocette, Triumph, Benelli, Rumi, Suzuki, Honda, Evans etc etc.) Built in the '20s and' 80s). If you ever need the documentation and / or information about these bikes do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you so much for your help.
Sorry for my bad English

My email address is:
[email protected]
My home address is:
Dott. Arch. Luciano Raschi
Via G. Amendola 13 / b
47822 Santarcangelo di Romagna (RN)
Italy

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186119#p186119:2eehx3n3 said:
mcgovern61 » January 18th, 2017, 8:05 pm[/url]":2eehx3n3]
Apparently, Honda still had some 11 digit VINs out there back then;

Honda Motorcycles
[edit]1979-'95
From 1979 to 1995 Honda had a 11-digit VIN, e.g. RD023600883
R: cc (A=up to 50, D=up to 70, H=up to 80, J=up to 125, K=up to 150, M=up to 250, N=up to 400, P=up to 600, R=up to 800, S=up to 800)
D: type of motorcycle (B=kids bike/ATC, C=Street, D=Enduro, E=OHV/Offroad bike - not street legal, F=Scooter)
02: internal production number (here NX650 Dominator)
3: version
6: series
00883: serial number

S = up to 800cc and above
C = Street
O2 = internal production number (GL1100)
4 = version (Interstate)
1 = series (1981)
04168 = serial number

Luciano, you are welcome! With a bit of research and the resources we have through our friends in the Oldwing community, we collectively can find most of the answer we need. It is certainly not any single persons effort and especially on this site where everyone is willing to help! :good:

Welcome. Don't worry at all about your english. Feel free to join right in. We don't mind helping to translate when we can.

Latest posts