carbs,,, on dead stop take off

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
she's runnin better all the time...idles perfect,, interstate perfect. but on take off,,, u need to ride the clutch just a lil,, or u get into this steady chug chug type
zone... could it just be me from running tractors and trucks that u can lug?? (2cyl. deeres!) and it's not one cyl. diff from the other ,, its steady,, and almost locks u in that zone. until u get the r's up sum... i can beat that luggin by start lettin out clutch,,, then throttle up,, let out clutch,, and u can back off it will run fine??? yes carbs are sinc... bike has 10k miles..:) any thoughts? someday i may go through carbs,, too busy right now,, and runs so close to perfect.

Mine does that sometimes, too(well...it USED to...). Mine seems to be worse when it's cold, and once it gets to operating temp, it's not so bad. Kinda sounds like a (small)diesel under a load. A little more throttle on take-off usually takes it right on thru that spot.

I dont see any of that I watched today and it looks like I generally start moving less than 1500 rpm, no chugging

yes it dose need a good run ....most likely you have idle jets clog on a carb or two ....very seldom do they come uncloged with tis crap gas of today dam stuff makes like concrete inside the jets ...try taking it in the high rpm zone and gas shut down all the down to lower rpm this will cause the best force to clear the jet if its possible ...dont get crazy with it and hurt anything just do smooth up total shut down to the bottom ...might get lucky

i've done that,, worked the first time,, made a huge difference as bike would not even idle,, wanted to rev, ... or was inconsistant,,,... someday i will go through the carbs

Runs good idles perfect. Hmm. I think it's just you. I too have a tendency to lug the motors in just about everything. I've gotten used to revving the wing a little more on takeoff and most of the clatter sound doesn't happen now.

opinion here but i think weak spark in low rpm is big factor on take off ....its really biggest load time ...during the weakest spark tome as there set up ...plus 30 yrs of aged wiring and connectors

I think That's normal,

But i need to do the ignition relay mod, and change to CBR coils

I rebuilt my carbs, and sync them on both my GL1100 and GL1200.

I used the Randaak kit on both.

GL1100 needs to be revved a little from a stop.

The GL1200 Does Not need to be revved like the GL1100 does from a stop.

The GL1200 just feels more powerful from a stop, and all the way through the power band.