Do I really have an Overheating issue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTATSOC

Reaction score
My Bike Models
Burgundy 1980,1,2,3 Goldwing and a Black 1981 Goldwing
Just put an 83 engine in my 80 with a set of 83 gauges the engine has appox 100k runs strong no leaks, no water in oil, no oil in water, does not leak out of weep hole. Does still have an original water pump installed. When driving 1st through 4th the temp indicates just above mid gauge shift to 5th Overdrive 70 -80 mph temp gauge climes to just below the over temp mark. Out side air temp for my driving has been 85 or cooler. Do I have an over temp issue I would except the gauge to run cooler shifting to 5th slows the engine and more air through radiator. Is there a difference in temp sending units for the gauge change put a 150 mph speedo and OD tach with cluster. Do I have a gauge problem mismatch with sender how do I check or do I have an overheating issue. :help: :help: :help:

Might be a mismatch in sender to gage. Do you have the honda fairing or vetter? Do you have the radiator side scoops installed?

I recently had to change my thermostat housing, and it came with a temp sending unit already in it. Not wanting to break it OR the housing, I left it in. Now, my temp gauge shows a higher temp than before. I have verified that my engine, and coolant temps are NOT as high as the gauge shows, so I know that the sending unit is faulty, or not calibrated correctly for my gauge set.
I would suggest you find some way to verify the coolants temps, just to make sure the engine is NOT running as hot as the gauge shows. I used an infrared thermometer first, and then used a temp probe stuck into the fins of the radiator. You can see the results of that "test" Here. You can also read thru that whole thread and see what I was dealing with at the time.... :heat: :mrgreen:

I have the Honda line faring with the lowers and when I installed the the engine I used the thermostat housing from the engine but the sending unit from the 80 as it was in a better looking condition I did not test either one of them the book shows no change in specs over those years at least my book does not. I guess it's time fro a trip to harbor freight for a temp probe.

PTATSOC":l1uhrzk8 said:
Just put an 83 engine in my 80 with a set of 83 gauges the engine has appox 100k runs strong no leaks, no water in oil, no oil in water, does not leak out of weep hole. Does still have an original water pump installed. When driving 1st through 4th the temp indicates just above mid gauge shift to 5th Overdrive 70 -80 mph temp gauge climes to just below the over temp mark. Out side air temp for my driving has been 85 or cooler. Do I have an over temp issue I would except the gauge to run cooler shifting to 5th slows the engine and more air through radiator. Is there a difference in temp sending units for the gauge change put a 150 mph speedo and OD tach with cluster. Do I have a gauge problem mismatch with sender how do I check or do I have an overheating issue. :help: :help: :help:

The Honda gauge calibrations are at best not great. But chances are the fault lies with the sending unit. Try putting the 1100 sender in it.Also make sure you have green antifreeze zero silicate in the cooling system. If the antifreeze is not premixed then mix it to a 50-50 ratio. Too much straight A/F could make it read too hot. Honda water pumps don't like silicate they will leak. Any color A/F other than green can make the head gaskets leak.

dan filipi":2cw0hptz said:
First time I heard that about the color antifreeze causing head gasket leaks.
Use only non silicate yes but color?

The gaskets are not formulated for synthetic products. The same with seals and O rings. Early Votec engines had a real problem with leaks when GM changed to the red or gold colored A/F. Cummins also had problems. They had to develope a steel/neopreme gasket for the enviromentally friendly A/F. I have had bikes with leaking head gaskets in my shop that had red coolant. Trust me it's not pretty.

Since it is only happening in overdrive, I wonder if it has something to do with the 7 volt regulator. I know when mine went out, the overdrive light, gas gauge and temp gauge quit working. Could it be that the slight increase in current to light the overdrive light is also increasing your other gauges? Does your gas gauge also go up a bit?

Well, checked temps and stuff as suggested and everything seemed pretty close to normal seemed to be a gauge issue. I had around 75 miles on the replacement engine and since things looked good took the bike for a trip from VV to SD about 300 miles round trip. Engine ran great got to SD parked bike and next morning about a quarter since oil spot on the ground, not good but nothing to serious, I thought. As I went up the pass to VV the engine started to howl got to VV stopped for dinner and had a steady leak out of the weep hole about a sliver dollars worth before we could walk away from the bike. Had a nice dinner, drove the bike home the last few miles and the howl got worse and an nasty puddle under the weep hole after parking the bike at the house. So the next step is to Replace what sure appears to be a BAD water pump. Will update after replacement of the pump. By the way what is the trick to getting the o"rings on the pump to go in. When I did it on the old engine it was a real bear to get the pump fitted back in with the the o"rings on it.
Thanks for putting up with the story.