ATF in gas tank

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuna boy

Reaction score
I have seen several posts that reccomend putting 6-8 oz of ATF into 5 gallons of gas to clean the carbs. Ford and GM use different formulas, does it make a difference which you use? Does it work? If so does it clean the internal Carb parts? Any positives with ATF alcohol in the gas?

brand or specs of the atf makes very little difference. The ATF has a lot of cleaners in it which will clean the carbs internally over time. Atf also adds a little lubricity to the fuel so the pistons move easier and you get a little better mileage. It also helps to stabilize the gas which today doesn't store very well. It also helps any condensation from pooling in the bottom of the tank. No downside at all unless you get a little much in the fuel. Then it smokes a bit until it's up to operating temp.

I was very skeptical at first but now put 8oz. in EVERY tank. You can thank Joe Drum for this tip...I know I do at every fill-up, IMHO the best advice I've ever gotten here. You rock Joe! :rocks:

~O~

For our purpose, brand makes no difference. Just don't get the cheapest crap on the shelf, is my only recommendation. It DOES make a difference in the power output...you can feel it. Helps fuel mileage, too. Cleans, protects, boost performance & fuel mileage...it's a no-brainer. I'll admit I don't add it to mine every tank, but I do occasionally. :good:

I don't see any reason why the cheapest crap on the shelf can't be used but maybe Joel knows something we don't being a Transmission Tech.
ATF in the gas DOES make a difference. It increased my average mileage 1-2 mpg and the bike just seems to "feel" and run better.

The "cheapest" crap is almost always recycled oils....meaning they filter/"distill" the fluids, put dyes in it(usually a purple color), and bottle it back up. At that point, the additive package originally blended into the fluid is gone...what is left is just the base oils. 90% of these fluids also have some type of seal expander additives(ie: brake fluid) added to them...a "Stop Leak", if you will. Not really what ya want running thru your fuel lines/hoses, and into the carbs that have rubber items in them.
I prefer to use a "name brand" fluid...the store brand stuff might not be what ya think it is. I don't mean the Pep Boys, or AutoZone, etc. brands here, I'm talking about the convenience store/gas station stuff....that's the stuff to shy away from, imo. :nea:

philc":1qs025q6 said:
Interesting, when I got the bike the PO had put Seafoam in the gas, boy did it smoke up a cloud.
Gonna try this ATF idea as soon as the bike is back together.
Thanks for the tip.

Seafoam is great for a good cleaning(the smoke is normal), but for everyday use ATF is cheaper and does the job well.

~O~

philc":1qewm4jf said:
Interesting, when I got the bike the PO had put Seafoam in the gas, boy did it smoke up a cloud.
Gonna try this ATF idea as soon as the bike is back together.
Thanks for the tip.
It must have been over dosed to smoke heavily.
I've shot Seafoam directly into the vacuum ports and not had much smoke.

I think it's important to mention here that any cleaners as well as atf should be used in recommended doses and used to clean over time.
This is a case where more is not better and could do more harm than good.

Latest posts