Carburetor Question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've cleaned and rebuilt hundreds of carbs in my lifetime, and I've seen some pretty strange stuff in some of them - but does anyone have any idea what this white, flaky stuff could be? All 4 carbs were loaded with it, and the rubber was mostly disintigrated. The tips of the float needle valves were gone, and the air cut-off valves were like a very thin mesh.

I bought these carbs for $20 to experiment with, and have no idea whatsoever what their history is. I'm thinking some kind of bad fuel treatment, but who knows. Ideas? Suggestions?

I have seen that level of corrosion many times.....but it is usually on aluminum deck equipment left out in a salt water atmosphere. Either way, it was a reaction between the aluminum and the liquid in the carbs (most likely not gasoline).

Also, the exteriors, the vacuum chambers and pistons, and the main bore were dirty, but showed no signs of this corrosion. I wonder if someone poured water into the gas tank, the bike ran until the carbs filled with water, then it sat for a long time.

They seem to clean up easily, and I can't see any pitting or damage to the aluminum.