gl1100A '83 speedometer and trip meter stopped working

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

src68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG... it is always something isn't it... :rant:

on my way to work, i put the bike in 3rd geer, and all of a sudden the speedometer read zero. (digital) then i noticed the tripometer wasn't moving either. i could zero it out, but it wouldn't change as i was driving. Any clue what is wrong?
please please please tell me it is something minor. :beg: :beg: :beg:

thank you as always for your help, assistance, and encourgement. :salute:

Digital speedo right? - same as mine. First check for continuity of the wire from the speedo gear at front wheel. Mine broke a couple of years back with exactly same symptoms as yours - didn`t renew wire just repaired it . Second check the speedo gear itself ( front wheel ) has been known for a lug to break internally. Don`t worry they are not specific to digital model - the speed sensor bolts to it in the same way a conventional cable does. If both of these prove good then the fault is with either the speed sensor or digital head itself - neither are repairable and could be difficult to find replacements.

Just a thought - hope it helps.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87395#p87395:2lej5mvy said:
David Mantle » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:44 am[/url]":2lej5mvy]
Digital speedo right? - same as mine. First check for continuity of the wire from the speedo gear at front wheel. Mine broke a couple of years back with exactly same symptoms as yours - didn`t renew wire just repaired it . Second check the speedo gear itself ( front wheel ) has been known for a lug to break internally. Don`t worry they are not specific to digital model - the speed sensor bolts to it in the same way a conventional cable does. If both of these prove good then the fault is with either the speed sensor or digital head itself - neither are repairable and could be difficult to find replacements.

Just a thought - hope it helps.

thanks for the info... how do i specifically check the speedo gear etc. i am not mechanically savvy. need detailed info if you could please.
so driving home, i found out the mileage counter isn't turning either... but my digital gas and temp gage and rpm digital info is working.

Check speedometer gearbox by removing front wheel and gear box itself shall slide off shaft. Visually check internal to make sure both small lugs are intact and that it turns when spun with fingers. The wire attached on yours , and the little black rectangular assembly , bolt into the gearbox in the same way that a conventional cable does.
The digital speedometer / tachometer / gear indicator / fuel gauge assembly on your handlebar is very robust and rarely gives trouble. Not saying NEVER gives trouble just very rare. Trouble more likely , in my opinion , would be the wire from the front wheel that leads to the speedometer head.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87533#p87533:2t03exav said:
David Mantle » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:24 pm[/url]":2t03exav]Check speedometer gearbox by removing front wheel and gear box itself shall slide off shaft. Visually check internal to make sure both small lugs are intact and that it turns when spun with fingers. The wire attached on yours , and the little black rectangular assembly , bolt into the gearbox in the same way that a conventional cable does.
The digital speedometer / tachometer / gear indicator / fuel gauge assembly on your handlebar is very robust and rarely gives trouble. Not saying NEVER gives trouble just very rare. Trouble more likely , in my opinion , would be the wire from the front wheel that leads to the speedometer head.

is there something to tell me how to take the front wheel off?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88212#p88212:9euagu4j said:
backlander » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:40 am[/url]":9euagu4j]Yes sir, there's a Honda Service manual in the gallery that covers your year model and here's a link to the front wheel removal. gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1159&image_id=11710
Mike, Your Awesome!