Suspension Ignorance I need corrected

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys, I'm a newbie to MCs. Am building up an Old 77 GW. I bought progressive springs for front and rear. haven't installed them yet...its 8 deg out and I just don't feel like freezing my keister off just now. Anyway, since I have no riding experience I do not know how she should or should not feel suspension wise. Being that I'm a portly 330#, I figured for sure the old bike would need new springs right off anyhow. How do you fellows suggest I start out setting up my ride? Don't hesitate to provide some hearty contancerous fatherly advise.

Actually I've got about 6 hrs riding time all told way back in 74, on a new honda 350 a buddy had. But for all intents and purposes I'm pretty ignorant of what to expect.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kenny

Ill agree that new springs will feel good no matter whats on there now and welcome to the best forum on the planet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Automatic transmission fluid is recommended for both the forks and shocks when you get around to changing the springs. With your admitted riding experience I strongly suggest you enroll and attend a motorcycle safety riding course. Once you get on the roads. Ride like you are invisible. No one sees you. Welcome to the fun.

+2 on the rider's safety course. This has been part of my evil plan all along.
I must admit I am a little leery what with all the drivers I see texting.
Gonna try to do mostly country ridin.

Thanks fellas!

The 1983 shocks have a better spring rate than any of the prior years.
Will they fit a 1000?
Just a suggestion.
They take air for additional load, which is what I think you need.
No offense intended.

This past Spring I was pushing 295, and now I am 270. The shocks that are on my 1100 are just a pair Progressive 412's springs. They are set to the stiffest setting and I have never bottomed out the suspension even with the bike loaded with all my camping gear. Now I will add more to it, and I'll deny it if it is ever mentioned again, but my wife is the same size as me. When we are both on the bike, I have not bottomed out the suspension on the rear of the bike. Is it stiff? I don't know because I never rode another 1100 with air shocks: it's just what I am accustomed to.

That being said, the 1200 has the air shocks, and there is a completely different feel to the ride that bike provides. Is it the shocks? My guess is yes.

+3 on MSF Rider Course. Man, I know I REALLY needed that when I got my Old Wing after being off bikes for 20 years....

+2 on Progressives front and rear - you'll never go back...

Peace Out

You may not need to get your ride road ready to take the beginner's course... many have 250's they teach on.. easy to maneuver, light weight.. no huge bike feel... makes for a confidence builder time.. and gives you some bike time...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=108480#p108480:b2ufk6xg said:
Joep » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:18 pm[/url]":b2ufk6xg]
You may not need to get your ride road ready to take the beginner's course... many have 250's they teach on.. easy to maneuver, light weight.. no huge bike feel... makes for a confidence builder time.. and gives you some bike time...

Plus when it comes to having to lock up the rear tire, you aren't doing it on your brand new tire.

I recommend using your GW for your training course. They are highly manuverable at slow speed and are fairly well protected with the crash bars if you drop it. I come from the "throw it on the ground school" while you are learning your and the bike's capabilities. It is much better to know what is too far and that you have the ability to pick it up and get going before your are on the road. Getting riding experience on a lighter bike is a great way to start just make sure that you go through the same process with your GW. :good: :moped:

I wasn't implying that he not use the wing.. but rather then waiting for a complete rebuild.. he could get comfortable with the course while the bike is under construction... when wing is ready then retake the course and even then also do an intermediate follow-up course also..

However it's done. Formal riding courses are much cheaper than hospital stays in learning how to ride. Regardless how you do it and with what machine. Traffic is not a "safe" place to play. Our wings are not small or light but they are compared to all but the tiniest of cars. But. Since I'm the one who started this :0fftopic: trek. Let's get back on the subject of suspension. :salute:
:thanks: